Saliva spits out metal tunes at Rick’s

The doors of Rick’s Caf will be shaking tonight when heavy metal band Saliva takes the stage. The band, known for its hard-edged sound, plans to rock the venue for all the head-bangers in Starkville.
    The Memphis-native band formed in 1996 by singer Josey Scott and guitarist Chris D’baldo and later added guitarist Wayne Swinny, bassist Dave Novotny and drummer Paul Crosby. Saliva has had many hit singles, including “Click Click, Boom,” since their major debut LP Every Six Seconds in March 2001. The most popular hit was the song “Hero,” singer Josey Scott’s collaboration with Chad Kroeger from Nickelback off the “Spiderman” soundtrack. Since then, Saliva has continued to rock with the best of the modern rockers.
    “We’re a bunch of guys that love each other’s company,” Chris D’baldo said on Saliva’s Web site. “We are committed to making great music.”
    Singer Josey Scott and D’baldo say forming Saliva was out of necessity and wanting to do something that would affect people more.
    “We were trying to find an opportunity to do something that we were both really going to be pleased with and where there weren’t any egos involved,” Josey Scott said on Saliva’s Web site. “We had our eyes on something bigger.”
    Before they got to make it to the big time, though, they got their start playing at Rick’s Caf. They honed their sound playing at places like Rick’s Caf to further increase their chances at making into the limelight.
    “Saliva did a practice show down here before they signed with Island Def Jam Records, and after they played here, they made it big,” Rick’s Caf owner Rick Welch said. “They’ve been good enough to keep coming back; I think this makes it four times now. They keep coming back, and they like playing here.”
    Saliva’s distinctive hard-rock sound is a rare thing for a bar like Rick’s Caf, but Welch says Saliva’s sound defined modern rock and never disappoints his crowd when it comes to them performing a solid rock show.
    “When they first came out, they were cutting edge,” Welch said. “They set the standard for new rock ‘n’ roll. They have a very high-energy show. The lead singer, Josey, always gets the crowd pumped up.”
    Saliva’s fans will not be disappointed and others who would like to check them out will be in for excellent rock show. Saliva knows how to keep their audience rocking all night long and then, send them home with their heads ringing.
    “All I have to say is get ready for a great rock show,” Welch said. “They’re going to be extremely high-energy. I encourage everyone to come out and continue supporting live music like this in Starkville.”