Employment expo seeks students

The Golden Triangle Employment Expo will allow students to market job skills at the Trotter Convention Center on Second Avenue from 9 a.m-3 p.m. Wednesday.
    “This is an opportunity for those college students who will be graduating in December or even May to market their skills,” said Mark Horning, chairman of the Golden Triangle Employment Expo.
    Horning said students should talk to as many employers as possible, beginning with those of interest first.
    “Students should understand that this is a tough market and that they should prepare themselves by dressing professionally and having plenty of rsums to give to potential employers,” he said.
    Several Mississippi organizations including MSU, Mississippi University for Women, East Mississippi Community College, Mississippi Employment Security Commission and the Columbus Air Force Base are in partnership with the event. The event is a part of the Mississippi Governor’s Job Fair Network.
    Representatives from more than 60 companies will be participating in the job fair looking to fill wide-range positions from both professional and entry-level work, said Joe Buckner, director of the Governor’s Job Fair Network. They include companies in the Golden Triangle Area, across the state of Mississippi and nearby states.
    “This is not only an opportunity for college students who will soon be graduating, but also those who are looking for a job in their field of interest,” Buckner said.
    Bell South, 4-County Electric Power Association, Baptist Memorial Hospital, the New Orleans Police Department, Mississippi Association of Realtors, Outdoor Technologies and Global Technology Groups are just few of the companies that will be recruiting at the job fair.
    “Last year over 300 positions were filled and the location of the job fair was outstanding,” Buckner said. “Anyone who should attend should be professionally dressed and have rsums, but even if they don’t have rsums they should still come out to find out more about a company that interests them.”
    Additional information regarding the job fair can be viewed at www.jobfairs.ms.gov.