Lyceum series

A constant complaint in Starkville and on campus is that there is rarely anything to do. We complain about the shallow movies at the cinema. We complain that we don’t have enough good live performances in Starkville, especially if you don’t want to go to a bar.
    In essence, we complain about being bored and culturally starved.
    However, we won’t need to complain about that starting next week. Next week, on Tuesday, the 2004-05 Lyceum series will begin. At 7:30 p.m. in the Colvard Union Ballroom, Chris Brubeck’s Triple Play will kick off a concert that will span folk, blues, jazz, funk and classical music.
    Try that for something different.
    If you aren’t familiar with the Lyceum series, it’s a series of cultural performances put on by the Mississippi State University Performing Arts Committee. The committee works hard to get interesting and diverse performances. This year’s lineup offers something for everyone and promises to expose us all to the culture that we so desperately crave.
    Where else can you find events featuring chamber music, political stand-up comedy or actors interpreting Oedipus? All of these events are planned for the academic year and are listed on the MSU Web site.
    Even though some view this area as the black hole of culture, the Lyceum series and its organizers are working hard to entertain and enlighten us. We owe it to them and ourselves to experience something different from the norm.