Harper, Boys create inspired music

There Will be a Light
    Ben Harper and the Blind Boy of Alabama
    The Verdict: The blend of Harper and Blind Boys does not disappoint with its fusion of two genres.
    3 stars of 4 stars
    Since 1999, Ben Harper and the Blind Boys of Alabama have been sharing ideas, music and a similar love for the Gospel. Harper and the Boys have shared the stage and the studio, but not until recently have they seen a collaboration as monumental as There Will be a Light. The full-length album is the product of what Harper describes as “a spiritual soul movement.” Going into the studio to record a couple of tracks, Harper and the Boys left eight days later with 11 tracks of rockin’ soul-filled gospel.
    The Blind Boys of Alabama (that being Clarence Fountain, Jimmy Carter and George Scott) have been singing salvation since 1939. All being completely blind, their musical and vocal ability prove that their “handicap” has in no way been a hindrance to their achievements. Having such historic roots, they easily succeed in giving listeners a true taste of their flavorful genre.
    As listeners begin their journey through There Will be a Light, one might find that the general feel of the album is a bit different that what was possibly expected. The musical fashion still feels somewhat traditional of Ben Harper, rather than a collection of revival-style rhythms. Harper’s signature slide guitar is still a prominent feature, as well as the high-pitched wailings of his soulful voice. But the Blind Boys of Alabama offer the supporting sound of vocal and musical conviction alongside heavily spiritual lyrics. While most tracks were written by Harper, perhaps such close fellowship and connection with the Boys gave Harper a more spiritually driven inspiration for writing, an inspiration seen only in small doses on Harper’s other albums.
    “Take My Hand,” the album’s opener, offers an introduction of pleasant percussion, followed by a good representation of what the remaining ten tracks are waiting to present. “Wicked Man,” the following track, brings a redemptive message set to a dynamic composition by Harper on the slide guitar. “Satisfied Mind” is a good example of the positive and encouraging vibe so prevalent in the lyrics. The song seeks to shed light on the truth regarding money and its inability to bring security and happiness, or as the title clearly states, a “satisfied mind.” Leaving music behind for a song, “Mother Pray” provides a beautiful accapella arrangement driven by the Boys deep and harmonious blend of vocals.
    There Will be a Light is a truly successful collaboration. The talent of two genres is so effectively brought together that it almost sounds as if they should never be separated. The relationship between Harper and the Boys is clearly an attribute to the success of the album, seeing that their connection goes deeper than the musical level. While there is nothing noteworthy regarding recording techniques and effects, the album is still equally exciting, and simply because of its powerful foundation: a fusion of shared passions that took control, leading the way through a spirit-filled, eight-day experience.