Former dean named Agriculture Hall of Fame

Rodney Foil, former dean of school of forest resources, was one of 10 inducted into the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Hall of Fame. “These 10 individuals have provided leadership, commitment and support throughout their varied and stellar careers for the development and transfer of knowledge in partnership with this agency and the land-grant university community,” said Colien Hefferan, administrator for CSREES in a news release.
    The ceremony took place in Washington D.C., in late October. Foil was a member of the Mississippi State University family for 35 years until his retirement in 1999.
    A few months later, the administrator of the Cooperative State Research, Education and Extension Service asked the Starkville resident to lead a new land-grant campaign, Initiative for Agriculture and Food Systems. Beforehand, Foil lobbied for CSREES while at MSU.
    “It was a great honor and privilege to be asked to work within the group for two years,” he said.
    As a member of the program, he acquired more than $240 million for high priority agricultural problems. Foil served at MSU as: dean of the School of Forest Resources, head of the forestry department and vice president for Mississippi State’s Division of Agriculture, Forestry and Veterinary Medicine. In 1978, he became director of MAFES until his promotion to vice president in 1986.
    Foil couldn’t pinpoint his most satisfactory achievement at MSU, a campus he visits at least once every two weeks.
    “It was a pleasure throughout. I could not pick anything over another. I am particularly pleased with the growth within the forestry department,” Foil said.