Dawgs down PanAmericana

An undermanned Mississippi State men’s basketball team scored early and often on its way to a 102-54 exhibition victory over the Panteras of the University of PanAmericana Saturday.
    Lawrence Roberts, Dietric Slater and Jamall Edmondson were each sidelined for the game, leaving the Bulldogs with 13 players to share 200 minutes. The task proved easy as all but one player scored in the contest.
    Senior Shane Power got the Bulldogs off to a quick start by draining a mid-range jumper and then a three-pointer. MSU never looked back. Power was pleased with the way his team played.
    “We came out from the start and did what we needed to, especially not having Lawrence,” Power said. “We wanted to come out and kind of take the wind out of the other team’s sails right away.”
    Defense also keyed the Dawgs win. The Bulldogs held PanAmericana to 36.5 percent shooting for the game.
    State also forced 30 turnovers. Senior guard Winsome Frazier led the defensive effort with five steals and a blocked shot to go along with his 14 points.
    “Coach told me, you know you’re going to get in the passing lanes but try to be more solid in your defense all-around,” Frazier said.
    The Bulldogs took a 51-27 lead into the half but looked sluggish coming out for the second half until sophomore point guard Gary Ervin and freshman Charles Rhodes ignited State on a 9-0 run. The run included Rhodes’ first collegiate points, which came on a thunderous slam.
    Stansbury was not only happy about the play of Rhodes but also the play of freshmen Walter Sharpe and Jerrell Houston.
    “I like my freshmen,” Stansbury said. “The freshmen are making progress. They have to understand how hard you have to play, not just every game but every possession. But I like the progress they are making. They’ve made unbelievable progress in just three weeks.”
    Center Marcus Campbell registered the only double double of the game with 15 points and 12 rebounds. Campbell showed great accuracy from the floor making six of his 10 shots and three of his four free throws.
    “He’s better than he was, absolutely,” Stansbury said. “He’s making progress. We have to have Campbell to defend and rebound. Today I don’t know how much of a challenge that was for Marcus Campbell.”
    Campbell wasn’t complacent with his performance and hopes to continue his improvement.
    “I didn’t play that good today but I think I’m a lot better than I was last year. A whole lot better,” Campbell said.
    The game also marked the return of senior Ontario Harper, who struggled with his shot, scoring just two points. Harper missed all of last season with a knee injury and was glad to be back on the court. Hopes are high that a healthy Harper can be a key contributor for the Bulldogs.
    “It was real exciting to come back and play the game after sitting out the whole year,” Harper said. “I looked a little rusty, but it felt real good to get up and down the floor.”
    The SEC Champion Bulldogs of last season were presented their championship rings prior to the game Saturday. All of the Bulldogs were present except for Lincoln Smith and Timmy Bowers. Bowers’ mother accepted his ring for him.
    Mississippi State’s season officially starts this Thursday in Birmingham, Ala., as the Bulldogs play Fairfield University in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic Tournament.
    Stansbury looks forward to the tough competition presented by the tournament.
    “They are a heck of a basketball team; nobody knows anything about them,” Stansbury said. “If they are in our league they are probably middle of our league. They have their top eight players returning.”