Bond issue

Aldermen voted Tuesday night to issue $5 million in bonds to pay to “construct or restore city buildings.” Ward 3 Alderman P.C. McLaurin said the money doesn’t necessarily have to go toward building the controversial “justice complex,” a proposed police station/municipal courthouse that would be located near Wal-Mart on the east side of the new Miss. Highway 25 Bypass. The money could be used to repair or construct any city building, he said.
    City officials have said over and over that the bypass justice complex would cost about $5 million. The city issued bonds for $5 million.
    Let’s be honest here. As Alderman At Large Vic Zitta implied at the meeting Tuesday, something stinks.
    If the city is truly still deciding whether to build the new justice complex near the Highway 25 bypass or to use an already existing building that is closer to the center of town, the city should wait until that decision is made to issue bonds. But what the city should and shouldn’t do in the situation is a moot debate. Aldermen have already voted on it.
    And they wonder why Starkville residents whisper about the city’s hidden agenda to push through with the construction of the justice complex without genuinely considering citizen input.
    If the city is seriously weighing all the options in the justice complex situation, it should show that by choosing which option for the justice complex is best for the city before borrowing the money.
    The city should also show a consideration for the opinions of Starkville residents. There was a huge turnout for the public forums to discuss this issue. People care about what is going on in their city. The city should not just write that off.
    The Reflector editorial board is made up of opinion editor Angela Adair, news editor Elizabeth Crisp, sports editor Craig Peters, entertainment editor Dustin Barnes, managing editor Pam McTeer and editor in chief Josh Foreman.