University to create campus disc golf course

Mississippi State University is set to become the second college in the state to have a disc golf course on campus.
    Disc golf, or Frisbee golf as it is commonly called, is similar to traditional golf, but players use discs instead of golf balls and clubs. There are discs of varying sizes, serving as drivers for long shots and putters for shorter, more accurate shots. The object of the game is to put the disc into a basket at the end of the hole in as few throws as possible.
    The nearest disc course is at Lake Lowndes State Park, which is about 40 miles from campus, said Laura Walling, director of the Sanderson Center.
    The department of recreational sports has gotten several calls about constructing a disc course, Walling said, and the department recognized this interest in students by beginning the procedure to get the construction plan approved.
    “It’s a great outdoor activity, and, in addition to being a fun sport, it provides a great workout,” Walling said.
    The campus planning and development committee, as well as the university’s Executive Council approved the plan, she said.
    The course will be located east of Herbert Hall and the band practice field in a wooded area between McKee Hall and Eckie’s Pond. The department of recreational sports will work with campus landscaping to thin the wooded area where the course will be located. They will also be putting in the baskets required for the game, Walling said.
    “It’s a pretty part of campus,” said Kary Rogers, a senior network analyst for ITS.
    Rogers will be helping with the initial setup of the course. The equipment has been ordered and organizers will be meeting soon with campus landscaping to complete the course. Rogers added that he hopes the course will be set up by spring 2005.
    The project will not require a lot of construction because the game uses the environment as obstacles. Once the course is finished it will only require occasional mowing to maintain it.
    Jeff Haydel, a UNIX systems programmer for ITS, estimated that the new disc course will save him $400 to $500 in gas costs a year. He will also be assisting with the setup.
    “We could play three rounds in the time it takes to drive and play at Lake Lowndes,” Haydel said.
    The new course will probably take between an hour and an hour and a half to play, but it depends on how many times you throw the disc and how many people are playing, he added.
    Initially, the course’s baskets will be temporary ones because the plans may need to be adjusted once the course is set up. Disc golf enthusiasts will be able to participate in trial runs once the temporary course is finished to see what needs to be corrected, Walling said.
    The course will be open to everyone free of charge and groups can reserve it by contacting the department of recreational sports. The Sanderson Center will have all of the necessary equipment for those that don’t own their own, Walling added.
    Plans to spark student interest in the sport include starting intramural Frisbee golf. The department also plans to start a disc sports club, which will include Frisbee golf and ultimate Frisbee, Walling said.
    This course could potentially provide the campus with an opportunity to be a site for collegiate regional competitions in disc golf, she said.