Metric debut borrows from many styles

With the release of their first full-length album, Metric is bringing a slightly different taste to the table. Their debut album Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? isn’t exactly what you might expect from an emerging new band. Their style reflects at best the late-’90s British band Elastica, but comparison is a difficult thing when the sound is as unexpected as Metric’s.
    Beginning eight years ago with the collaboration of vocalist Emily Haines and guitarist James Shaw, Metric has evolved into a sort of indie, pop, rock and dance kind of sound all at the same time.
    Their sound is hard to categorize because it draws from so many elements musically. Because of the present music scene, there isn’t really a category for it. It might not be what music lovers are seeking to discover, but Metric does bring an exciting and interesting debut.
    The title track begins with a rockish edge that suddenly slips into an enchanting run of piano and bass. Following is a track that presents exactly why it is so hard to pinpoint a sound for the band. You hear an electropop meeting rock and indie. With such an eclectic mix of genre, Metric has stumbled upon an interesting manipulation of music.
    The band should certainly be recognized for their ear for rhythm. The album is full of synthesizers and keyboard, elements that sound slightly unappealing amidst the sea of musical artists today.
    Yet Metric takes these elements and uses them for good. They manage to capture the spirit of disco, dance, pop and rock with a fun, infectious rhythm.
    Also noteworthy is the intricacy of each track. Almost every run-through of a song is like listening to three. So many moods are captured in one song because of Metric’s ability to intertwine several different sounds and harmonies into a well-planned composition.
    Complementing the music is the refreshing debut of Haines’ voice. The boldness and clarity that Haines possesses gives her voice a sweet but sultry drive, enhancing the diverse trend of the band’s music.
    Metric’s release can’t be credited with originality, but the band does achieve something that’s hard to ignore. The convergence of so many elements into such a bridled but energetic sound has created an album that’s inevitably in line for some well-deserved recognition.