Same-sex unions not marriage

It seems the judicial system has seen fit to start attempting to define the morals of the American people. The subject of same-sex marriages is different from any other legal issue concerning morality.
    For an example, let us look at abortion. Abortion was also legalized through a Supreme Court decision.
    However, unless someone consults me on my personal opinion about the matter, a stranger can have an abortion with little to no influence on me or my life.
    I may believe that it is wrong, but I don’t have to condone or agree with the act itself.
    However, by legalizing same-sex marriages, I am forced into a value system with which I do not agree.
    Here’s another example. Let’s say I own a neighborhood workout gym offering discounts to married couples. Suppose a same-sex couple were to apply for such a membership.
    I, according to my personal beliefs, do not recognize the couple as participating in a “marriage.” Yet I am forced, by the law, to compromise my beliefs, values, faith system- whatever you want to call it.
    I thought America was founded on freedom of religion. Well, my religion states that this union is not a marriage.
    Whatever the coming months may bring concerning the issue of same-sex marriages, I hope the American legal system, including voters and judges, will keep an open mind to all Americans including those who do not believe in same-sex marriages.
    I, for one, will never see the union of same-sex couples as a sanctified marriage.
    And I can do that, because-guess what? It’s my right.
    Amy Marolt is a senior math major. She can be reached at [email protected].