‘Sex’ goes beyond sex

Sunday marked the end of an era during which four Manhattanites reigned supreme as experts in camaraderie, intimacy and style. “Sex and the City” will no longer grace televisions with its charismatic presence, except in the form of reruns.
    Shed tears now, fans. If you watched the series finale, know that you comprised a part of an estimated 13 million people who tuned in to bid farewell to Carrie Bradshaw, Charlotte York, Miranda Hobbs and Samantha Jones.
    Non-fans, listen up. Despite what its title implies, “Sex and the City” discusses more than sex. The show continues to draw aficionados like light attracts moths because of its brilliance, not its sexual content.
    “Sex and the City” has the chutzpah to discuss taboo issues, and it prompts viewers to think. It possesses a certain je ne sais quoi that captivates and enlightens people.
    True fans know that each episode is a symbolic work of art, comprised of a clever title, precisely written and witty scripts, charming actors and actresses, striking shots of New York City and cutting-edge fashion.
    Most importantly, quotes from each show teaches astute life lessons that stand out far more than the sexual content does:
    * “I am someone who is looking for love. Real love. Ridiculous, inconvenient, consuming, can’t live without each other love.” -Carrie Bradshaw
    Point: Have flings, but ditch the relationship when you realize that the person is not your soul mate.
    * “I believe a relationship is like couture. If it doesn’t fit perfectly, it’s a disaster.” -Juliette, Aleksandr Petrovsky’s ex-wife
    Point: Don’t settle for a relationship that does not meet your appropriately high standards.
    * “Marriage doesn’t guarantee a happy ending. Just an ending.” -Samantha Jones
    Point: Don’t get married to try to fix a flawed relationship.
    * “Reasonable doubt in a courtroom gets you off for murder. In an engagement, it makes you feel like a bad person.” -Miranda Hobbes
    Point: If you have doubts about a relationship, end it sooner rather than later.
    * “Maybe there are no right moments, right guys, right answers. Maybe you just have to say what’s in your heart.” -Carrie
    Point: Follow your intuition and don’t doubt yourself.
    * “Maybe the best any of us can do is not quit, play the hand we’ve been given and accessorize what we’ve got.” -Carrie
    Point: Exploit your natural talents and strive to make the most out of every day.
    * “She could reach me, but I could never get her.” -Mr. Big
    Point: People want what they cannot have.
    * “In relationships, what are the deal breakers?” -Carrie
    Point: Figure out your tolerance zone, determine your bottom line and abandon all relationships that undercut your boundaries.
    * “Can you ever really forgive if you can’t forget?” -Carrie
    Point: Do not do something that you may regret, because your actions may permanently spoil you in the eyes of someone you care about.
    * “If you find someone to love the you you love, well, that’s just fabulous.” -Carrie
    Point: Don’t count on another person to fulfill you and make you happy. Love yourself, and if you find another person that loves you just as much, consider yourself lucky.
    These quotes divulge some incisive lessons that “Sex and the City” imparts. Take them with a grain of salt, meditate on them and remember the crux of the show: only you know what is best for you.
    If you still want reinforcement from “Sex and the City” characters, remember that you can still watch them on DVD.
    Jenn Rousey is an English, French and communication major. She can be reached at [email protected].