Ani’s latest is acoustic, honest

Ani DiFranco’s latest declaration to the world is her acoustically unique album Educated Guess. While more can be said of her musical talents from previous albums, the character and beauty of Educated Guess still stands for recognition.
    “Platforms,” one of the four spoken pieces, opens the album. Only 16 seconds long, it introduces listeners to the central idea behind Ani’s new music. “Life knocked me off my platforms/ and I suited up for the long walk back to myself,” she says.
    Following separation from her husband and other life changes for Ani, Educated Guess proves to be a handful of expressive poetry and emotional melodies. Lyrically, Ani has created a masterpiece. she has taken her heart and given it a voice. The powerful message that beats behind her words is blended beautifully with her poetic presentation. “Bodily,” a clear expression of what she has been dealing with, provides a piercing illustration of the heartbreak behind separation. “I am trying to take an appreciative approach to life in your wake … and emptiness has its solace in that there’s nothing left to take.” Every word on this album is coming from the soul of an artist, and as an artist, DiFranco has exposed herself with a vibrant painting of her emotion.
    While the lyrics prove to be the pulse of the album, DiFranco brings her poetry to life with an eclectic mix of strings and rhythm. Fans shouldn’t expect a musical phenomenon, but the simplicity of Ani and her guitar create a perfect setting for her soulful lyrics. Educated Guess is a trip back to the earlier days of DiFranco’s style, and while the acoustic trend of the album may disappoint fans expecting a release of musical genius, Ani’s character-filled voice and manipulation of the guitar create a collage of sweet and simple beauty.
    Educated Guess is a unique album for DiFranco in that it is her first attempt to create a truly solo album. The lyrics, music, recording, production and every other process behind the release of the album were done solely by Ani herself. For this reason alone, a new sense of appreciation should be attached to Ani’s newest extension of her achievements. DiFranco epitomizes the meaning of a solo album with an attempt that few artists dare to embrace.
    Overall, Educated Guess is an inspiring piece. For DiFranco, the music is elementary, yet the album is in no way a failure. Rather than giving her musicianship an experimental run, Ani steps up as a poet and still manages to create a tribute to her talent. The album is a skeleton of unrefined production, yet the result is a composition that screams honesty and exposure.