Same-sex marriage forum tonight

A forum to discuss same-sex marriages will be held tonight in Lee Hall Auditorium. The debate, which starts at 7 p.m., begins a planned series of discussions on contemporary issues hosted by the Division of Student Affairs.
    Event coordinator Laura Walling said the forum was organized to provide insight into recent events regarding gay marriage legislation in Massachusetts and Mississippi and in President Bush’s State of the Union address on Jan. 20.
    “I hope the forum can be an enlightening dialogue to allow students to hear opinions that may be different from their own … and learn from them,” Walling said.
    During his State of the Union, Bush emphasized his belief that marriage is between a man and a woman. He criticized “activist judges” who he claims are attempting to redefine marriage by court order.
    The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ruled in November 2003 in a 4-3 ruling that homosexuals could not be banned from marriage, giving the state Legislature six months to rewrite its marriage laws for the benefit of gay couples.
    Alan Nunnelee, R-Tupelo, has proposed legislation to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman. Mississippi already has a Defense of Marriage Act in effect that prevents gay and lesbian couples from marrying or from having unions performed outside the state recognized by the state.
    “I think the forum is going to increase students’ awareness of gay marriage regarding the recently proposed legislation on this topic, including the bill from Massachusetts,” said Aretha Jones, director of the Holmes Cultural Diversity Center.
    Lora DeFore, journalism coordinator and the event’s moderator said she hopes panelists will present their views with intelligence and respect and that they will try to understand each other’s differences.
    “At the very least, we all should hope to learn more about this topic so that if we’re ever asked to cast a vote for such a referendum, we can do so knowing we’re well-informed,” Defore said.