Businesses keep Starkville wine scene prospering

The United States’ flourishing wine industry means a larger selection of cheaper quality wine for Americans, and Starkville is no exception.
    Starkville restaurant owners and businesses have seen a new trend among college students and the local wine market. More students are ordering glasses at dinner and buying bottles to drink at home.
    Jay Yates, owner of The Veranda, said he makes sure the menu has plenty of low-priced, quality wines for students. “My philosophy on wine includes pairing wine and food together. This is because wine makes good food taste great and great food taste incredible,” Yates said. “I also feel that wine is fun to experiment with by always trying new things.”
    Yates said some people are scared or put off by wine because they don’t understand it. As a restaurateur, he said he feels a responsibility to demystify people and communicate to them the virtues of different wines.
    Yates said this is the driving concept behind the restaurant’s monthly wine-tasting events. However, if a wine veteran or rookie happens to need a bottle to take home, Brewski’s Bulldog Package Store houses a wide variety of wine. Along with an extensive collection, the store keeps a knowledgeable staff on hand to answer questions.
    “I’ve really learned a lot about wine since I started working here. It’s really something that you pick up over time,” Brewski’s employee Jim Sesser said.
    Sesser added that a significant percentage of college students come in to purchase wine. One of their most popular sellers is Beringer’s White Zinfandel. While this is a popular wine, Sesser said other people come straight in looking for something specific.
    “I’ve always gone to Brewski’s for wine. But I also enjoy eating out and getting a great bottle of wine. I think wine is a lot of fun and I’ve really found myself taking more of an interest in it since I’ve been in college,” Becca Singleton said.