SA runoff wrapup

Adam Telle was named the new Student Association president when the results of the SA runoff elections were announced Tuesday night.
    The SA attorney general race went to Jon David Cole. Katherine Sinele won the the secretary race. Wesley Black is the new senior class president.
    Telle won decisively over Juan McCullum, taking 63 percent of the 3,151 votes cast.
    “I’ve just got to give credit to everybody who worked with my campaign,” Telle said. “Also to my opponent. He ran a great campaign.”
    McCullum refused to comment about the election results.
    McCullum campaign spokeswoman Quentella Henderson said everyone involved in the campaign worked hard this year, and that they will continue to be a part of this campus.
    “The student body chose who they felt was best for the job,” Henderson said. “We hope he stands up to that. We wish Adam the best. We feel like he did a wonderful job.”
    Telle said that the election was not about him, but about the issues involving the campus. He also said he was ready to take on the tasks that came with the responsibilities of the SA president.
    Cole seemed eager to take on the tasks of attorney general, saying that he felt blessed. “The Lord has blessed me a lot through the process … and I know He is going to bless us this year.”
    Cole claimed 57 percent of the vote, defeating opponent Jonathan Cobb for the office.
    “I’m happy. Jon David did a good job,” Cobb said. “I have no regrets.”
    Secretary-elect Sinele said she would like to thank all the students for coming out and voting. “I’m looking forward to next year with the student body and serving them.”
    Sinele edged opponent Stefanie Thomas by 38 votes.
    The new leader of the senior class, Black won with 58 percent, as opposed to the almost 42 percent garnered by his opponent, T.J. Harvey.
    SA Elections Commissioner Stacie Carter said this Tuesday’s election set a new record in voter turnout.
    The previous record was set at last week’s general elections, when 3,142 students turned out to vote at the polls..
    The night’s announcement of next year’s SA executive officers ends weeks of campaigning and controversy.
    Edward Sanders, a vice presidential candidate, said, “I think the students have clearly spoken with the margin of the victory, but I seriously think we need to address some of the division problems on campus that I have seen in this election and tonight.”
    Sanders lost to Jeremy England in last week’s election.
    Outgoing SA Attorney General Hunter Jones expressed his relief that the election process was completed.
    “I’m just glad it’s over,” Jones said. “All the candidates that won definitely deserved to win, and we’re excited about the new executive branch.”
    Outgoing SA Secretary Claire Hardin said she would move out of her office in the next week
    “So this is what it feels like to be a lame duck,” Hardin said with a grin. “Quack!”