Up-and-coming country musician steps into Starkville for first time

Academy of Country Music award nominee Dierks Bentley will make his first Starkville appearance tonight at Rick’s Caf.
    The 29-year-old artist has played the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville, Tenn., opened for country great George Strait and has recently been touring with country headliners Kenny Chesney and Keith Urban. His debut single, “What Was I Thinkin’,” hit No. 1 on the Billboard charts in 2003-the first time a debut single had hit No. 1 since 2001.
    “It feels great,” Bentley said, about having a chart-topping single. “My main thing is I love to play live music. I don’t really try to have chart success, but knowing that people recognize and sing along with my songs is really great.”
    Bentley moved from Phoenix, Ariz., to Nashville, Tenn., at age 19. He began his country career playing small venues like the Station Inn and Market Street Brewery in Nashville.
    “Just learning to play the small clubs where everyone’s kind of staring at you really teaches you how to be a good entertainer,” Bentley said. “I’m just trying to win over the crowd and playing those small places really taught me how to do that.”
    After working for TNN (The Nashville Network), recording an independent record and attaining a publishing deal, Bentley signed with Capitol Records in Jan. 2001. He said he liked being part of the Capitol family.
    “So far they’ve been really supportive of letting me write my records, help with my videos, pick my singles and things like that,” Bentley said. “I’m not getting Capitol tattooed on my arm or anything, but it’s been good.”
    Bentley’s self-titled album currently holds the No. 15 spot on Billboard’s Top Country Albums chart. His song “My Last Name” is No. 18 on Billboard’s Hot Country Singles and Tracks chart.
    Rick Welch, owner of Rick’s Caf, said he was more excited about booking Bentley for tonight’s show than he had been in a very long time.
    “It’s not often when a venue this size has the opportunity to have an artist that is all over the charts,” Welch said. “Dierks Bentley is definitely going to be one of the new stars in country music, there is no doubt about it.”
    Bentley will be performing tomorrow night on Country Music Television’s Flame Worthy video awards show. Bentley’s video for “What Was I Thinkin'” is a nominee in three categories, including Breakthrough Video of the Year. In addition, Bentley will be up for Top New Artist during the Academy of Country Music Awards show in May 2004.
    Bentley said he thinks a couple of things make him different from all of the other country artists who are trying to succeed in the business.
    “I did my homework before I ever got a record deal,” Bentley said. “I feel like I’m a country music fan first and foremost, so I know what people like and what they want to hear. And me and my band, we just love to play music.”
    Bentley said he and his band are playing about 200 shows a year, and artists like George Strait realized that Bentley would be a good, energetic opening act. He also said a little bit of luck helped, too.
    Although Bentley has found big success in recent months, he said he plans to continue playing smaller venues like Rick’s, even if his popularity keeps growing.
    “I love playing in front of younger and rowdier crowds,” Bentley said. “Getting to play in front of college students with their hats turned backwards, pressed up against the stage handing you tequila shots is just a great experience. We love to play, we love to pick and we love to have variety.”
    Bentley also said his music goes best with a cold beer.
    “I always say my music is meant for people who like to drink cheap, domestic, light American beer,” Bentley said. “I like country music you can party to and drink beer to, and we’re just going to be onstage drinking beer and partying.”