Fiesta celebrates cultures on campus

Students will have a chance to learn about cultures around the world at the 14th International Fiesta on Saturday. The event, which begins at 10 a.m. on the Drill Field in front of Lee Hall, will start with a parade of flags representing 20 countries.
    The event is sponsored by the World Neighbor’s Association as well as the Division of Student Affairs and the Student Association.
    Amanda Harrison, who works in the English as a Second Language Center, said she feels that it is a good way for students to learn about other cultures.
    “This is a great way for American students, who have not been exposed to international cultures to experience another culture first hand,” Harrison said.
    Although the event has been successful in past years, Harrison is planning on a better attendance this year.
    “We are hoping it will be bigger than last year,” she said. “We are planning to have between 500 and 600 people to attend.”
    The organizers have planned various activities that will last until 3 p.m. Entertainment will be provided through dancing and games. University and community residents will participate in an international fashion show and a cooking contest.
    Different cultures from around the world will be represented with tables showing information about each culture. Items will be available to purchase as well.
    The MSU Cricket Club will play the Alabama Cricket Club on the Drill Field at 2:30 p.m.
    The two teams have played each other in two tournaments. Each has a victory.
    “We have asked (Alabama) to come over here to play, and we will see how it goes,” team member Vikram Venkatesh said.
    The cricket club now has approximately 65 members from countries as diverse as India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Bangladesh and the United States. The club tries to play other cricket clubs once a month, although they do not compete every month.
    The club meets on the Drill Field almost every week for practice. From practice, players can be selected to compete in games.
    The International Fashion Show began when human sciences professor, Phyllis Miller, noticed the clothing participants wore to the event.
    “When I first attended the event a few years ago, it struck me as fascinating at how interesting the participants clothing was,” Miller said.
    Students in Miller’s Apparel and Design II class have organized the event this year.
    The show will feature traditional clothing from 13 countries as well as contemporary fashion and its inspirations.
    The group will also have a booth at the show displaying clothing throughout the day.