Material boys ruin hunting

What is the world of hunting coming to? Hunters are no longer worried about preparing for hunting season; it’s now a matter of what brand name hunters are carrying in the woods.
    “I haven’t practiced calling a lick this year, but I am using Knight and Hales new call,” isn’t gonna cut it when Mr. Longbeard flies off because you screech a note on your mouth call.
    Hunters are acting more like children than adults these days.
    “My Matthews shoots 320 f.p.s. and your PSE only shoots 305 f.p.s. That makes me a better hunter than you!”
    I haven’t seen the new signs in the woods that read: “Minimun Bow Speed: 300 feet per second. All other hunters must leave.”
    Maybe one day all the trophy bucks and turkeys in the world will be crammed into one giant field, and whoever shoots the fastest bow will get to take home the biggest deer and bird.
    That sounds fair, right? After all, it’s not about scouting or preparing to hunt anymore, it’s all about how fast you name brand bow shoots.
    Then there is the fight over who makes the best camouflage. “Mossy Oak is better than Realtree. When I am wearing my new Break-Up, I am invisible. Realtree is just not up to par.”
    I thought the purpose of camouflage was to keep wildlife from seeing you; I didn’t realize that the words written on the tag of the shirt made such a difference. I understand people have preferences, but it’s good to be realistic. There is more to hunting that the brand of camo you wear. Maybe we can start a Mississippi Department of Camouflage to regulate this problem.
    “Excuse me sir, I pulled you over because you are wearing Realtree. That just doesn’t cut it. You can pay your $50 fine on Monday. Have a nice day, and get some new camo!”
    Maybe we can blame advertisers for our materialism. We get in our trucks and we see billboards every hundred feet. We turn on the tube at night and there are more commercials running than actual television shows.
    The world wants us to think that if we don’t have the latest stuff, then we’re not at the top of our game. But that is what advertisers do. Advertisers job is to sell, but you are the ones that have to buy the product. You don’t have to do anything except pay taxes, hunt and die! Comforting thought, huh.
    I remember going to an archery competition last year in North Mississippi. Everyone there was shooting the latest, most expensive gear on the market. Several custom bows in the competition had to cost more than a used pick-up! Every competitor was shooting in the 300 f.p.s. range, except one.
    This guy shot an old Fred Bear bow; in fact, it may have been the original! He shot aluminum arrows that had to be more than just a few years old, but he knew how to shoot.
    Every arrow was shot with the confidence that he was going to score a twelve on every shot; he was in control of the situation. He went on to win the competition. I got a kick out of this guy winning. It was great to see someone perform with great confidence and win a tournament without the “best” equipment.
    The truth is, when you enter the great outdoors, Mother Nature isn’t going to say, “You cannot hunt here, you aren’t shooting a Matthews!” As long as you are comfortable with your gear and know how to use it, that is all that matters.
    We need to get back to the point where hunting means something. Let’s quit being material boys and become hunters once again.
    Go deer hunting in blue jeans and flannel shirts like your grandfather did. See if you can be old fashioned. Cut down your own tree and make your own bow like the natives did. Well, maybe we should stay away from making our own bows. Heaven knows we would have to use a power-saw to cut down the tree!
    Instead of arguing about who shoots the best equipment, argue about who is going to kill the biggest trophy of the year. And I assure you, the person who spends his time waiting for the latest gear to arrive won’t kill the big ‘un!
    Author Jim Slinsky once wrote, “The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind.”
    Let’s keep our state of mind on the great outdoors and not on what brand names we are carrying in.
    Jake Fagan can be reached at Material boys ruin hunting[email protected].