Computer specialist advises on safety

Internet security and computer technology expert Hal Berghel lectured Monday and Tuesday on ways to make computers more resistant to hackers.
    Berghel, a computer science director at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, presented ideas on how to help keep computers more secure to computer engineering students.
    He also explained processes that hackers use to break into computers.
    “A lot of people know who we are on the Internet,” he said. “Every piece of information we exchange leaves clues about who we are.”
    Berghel explained that criminals can learn information about a person through wireless technologies by using palm devices to track signals from things like baby monitors, house monitors and other X10 technologies.
    “These things provide perpetrators with the ability to know what you are doing and where you are by listening for clues,” he said.
    Although much of Berghel’s information is directed toward more skilled computer operators, his Web site, www.acm.org/hlb, gives several tips on how to improve computer security.
    There are simple things that every student can do to improve computer security.
    Keri Chisolm, who works with State’s center for computer security research, said the main thing people should do on the Net is be aware.
    “The Internet is just like any other place,” Chisolm said. “You should use your street smarts to navigate.”
    She said she felt the most important things that people should do is to delete suspicious email and install antivirus software
    “Always be leery of suspicious e-mail,” Chisolm said. “If you are in doubt, delete it.”
    Symantec Antivirus software, which is required for all computers on campus, is available to students for free on the Information Technology Services Web site.
    “If a computer already has a virus on it, the software won’t install correctly,” Security and Compliance Officer Mike Argo said. “Some infections will disable the software.”
    If computer has a virus, www.symantec.com is able to scan and repair the virus online and allow the student to install the software afterward, Argo said.
    “Getting the free software is a no-brainer,” Argo said. “As long as you are connected to the Internet you can get updates, and it never expires.”
    Chisolm said that if a student gets a virus after having the program, running Symantec will usually fix the problem. If the software is unable to get rid of the virus, the Symantec Web site contains detailed instructions for removing almost any virus.
    Chisolm also recommended that students download, Ad-Aware, a program that removes spy-ware from a computer.
    Advertisers leave information on a person’s computer depending on which sites he or she visits the Internet, Chisolm said.
    “Spyware is really starting to be a problem for people, because if someone gets a lot of it on their computer, it can cause the Internet to really be slow for them,” she said.
    “The main thing for students to remember is to be cautious and not give into scams that can give away their information.”