The Reflector’s goal is fairness, objectivity

Objectivity. Certainly one of the most important of journalistic canons. Journalists and newspapers live and die professionally by the concept.
    It can be especially important when covering, say, a controversial Student Association presidential race.
    I learned firsthand this year the importance of remaining an objective journalist.
    I observed, mostly from my post as entertainment editor, the consequences-negative and positive-that can come from objective reporting.
    This edition of The Reflector is the new editorial board’s first. Some Reflector employees are gone. Some have changed positions. Some have kept their old ones. (Expect a couple more columns from Craig “Jules” Peters.)
    Despite the turnover in staff, one thing will not change-The Reflector’s commitment to objectivity.
    We are a diverse group. Some of us are liberal, some conservative. Some of us despise our neighbors in Oxford, some only harbor a strong distaste for them.
    We all care about the reputation of the paper, however.
    Every time we make a tough decision, whether it’s deciding to expose inconsistencies in a candidate’s campaign platform or criticizing the homecoming election process, we put our reputation on the line. We think long and hard about what we can and should print.
    And we expect the student body to hold us accountable for our decisions. I believe our discourse will result in responsible, accurate journalism most of the time, but everyone makes mistakes.
    I feel comfortable taking over leadership of the paper. I think most of us here understand how important fairness and objectivity are to the paper’s integrity.
    I’m proud of our product. But I don’t want us to become satisfied.
    I want us to work toward more responsible reporting, better reporting. I want us to become more closely connected with our readership, the student body.
    But we can’t do that without feedback from you. So the next time you disagree with something we print, write us.
    We’re going to strive to maintain fairness and objectivity this year, and your criticism will be much appreciated.
    Josh Foreman is a senior communication major. He can be reached at [email protected].

Josh Foreman
    Josh Foreman, Faculty Adviser
    Josh Foreman served as the Editor-in-Chief of The Reflector from 2004 to 2005. He holds an MFA in Writing from the University of New Hampshire, and has written six books of narrative history with Ryan Starrett. [email protected]