Lady netters split decisions

The Mississippi State women’s tennis team garnered its first Southeastern Conference victory of the season, defeating No. 70 Arkansas 4-3 at the UA Varsity Courts in Fayetteville Friday.
    “It was a winnable match for us, and we knew that going in,” MSU head coach Tracy Lane said. “We knew for us to pick up a win that that was the one we would have to win.”
    State took the opening doubles point behind victories at the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. At the No. 2 spot, State’s duo of Hayley and Tarryn Rudman took an 8-2 decision over Arkansas’ Whitney Morton and Melissa Cornett. Lady Bulldogs Anastasia Kugakolova and Magdi Rekasi defeated Anna Dybicz and Megan Ferreira 8-5 at No. 1.
    “Me and Magdi have really found our style,” Kugakolova said, adding, “and, most importantly, we’ve been playing our hardest.”
    State dropped the No. 3 doubles 8-5. In singles, the Lady Bulldogs took the team victory with three straight-set singles wins, including a 6-0, 6-2 victory for Kugakolova.
    On Sunday, the Bulldogs welcomed No. 25 LSU to the A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre. Despite taking the doubles point for the second straight match, the Lady Bulldogs fell 5-2 to the Tigers.
    “We played great doubles,” Lane said. “In singles, they started really well and jumped on us early. They’re great competitors.”
    One bright spot for the Lady ‘Dawgs in singles was Kugakolova’s comeback three-set victory over LSU’s Rocio Fantilli 3-6, 6-2, 6-2. It was Kugakolova’s second straight singles victory.
    “I never gave up, even after losing the first set,” Kugakolova said. “From the start of the match to when you shake hands at the end, I know that every point is important, so I fought hard on every point.”
    State closes its regular season with three more home matches. Next, MSU will host the No. 2 Florida Gators Friday, April 2, in a match scheduled for 2:30 p.m. at the A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre.