Dawgs should savor the flava

Achievements should be recognized and rewarded, but most of all appreciated by those who accomplish feats that not everyone can do.
    Last season Kentucky swept the regular season and held the Dawgs off their heels in N’Awlins to claim the SEC Tourney title.
    Neither time did the Wildcats cut down any nets because, “We only wanted to cut them down once,” they said.
    Confidence helps teams compete, but arrogance sets them up for a fall. Well, as the ‘Cats tried to return to the Superdome, they lost their best player Keith Bogans to injury and March Madness happened.
    While the No. 5 Bulldogs have goals beyond the regular season championship, they deserved to celebrate Tuesday night.
    They downright had to cut the nets down after wearing them (and Auburn) out for 105 points.
    Winsome Frazier led the charge early with six treys in the first half. Right side, left side, wing, baseline, it just didn’t matter to him.
    “Coach (Rick Stansbury) says I’d shoot it from the sidelines if I had to,” Frazier said. “They kept leaving me open.”
    For transfers Lawrence Roberts and Shane Power, there is no place like Mississippi State.
    “I knew we had the potential to compete for a championship,” Roberts said.
    Power, who sat sidelined by the NCAA transfer rule and an injured knee last season, has learned how special playing college basketball can be.
    “It was real frustrating to not even be able to practice because of my knee,” Power explained as he sported the nylon net-lace. “I have a real different perspective now-I appreciate staying in nice hotels and playing in great arenas with great fans.”
    How’d he wind up with one of the nets?
    “I just kind of went and took it. Coach Stansbury will probably try to get it and I usually do what he says, but I’m prepared to wrestle him for this one,” Power said with a laugh.
    For captain Timmy Bowers, senior night became even more special when last season’s point guard Derrick Zimmerman, now of the NBDL’s Columbus (Ga.) Riverdragons, made the trek for Bowers’ final game in The Hump.
    After the celebration, Bowers spotted Zimmerman signing autographs for fans who remembered his talents.
    “I’ll always feel welcome here,” Zimmerman said.
    “This is my boy,” Bowers said as the two shared an embrace.
    “We had talked about how he wanted to be here,” Bowers later said. “It was great to see my best friend and have him here for my last game.”
    The two have kept in touch the entire season through phone calls about every other night.
    “I told Coach I wanted to come back for senior night,” Zimmerman explained. “He told me that would be good and that I should practice with the team.”
    Zimmerman did just that Wednesday.
    “The team chemistry and business-like attitude impressed me the most,” Zimmerman explained. “They have a great group of veteran guys that have been through it. At 24-2, there weren’t a lot of pointers I could give them.”
    Zimmerman said he did give Bowers advice earlier this year..
    “I told him he had to be a leader by example and that talent and skill would take care of itself,” Zimmerman explained. “He’s the most underrated player in the country.”
    The 2001-02 Bulldogs were the last State team to cut down the twine after winning the SEC Tourney title.
    So what would happen if Zimmerman’s 2002 SEC Tournament Championship squad met this year’s Bulldogs?
    “Whoa, that’s tough,” Zimmerman said with a familiar smile.
    Can anyone say, “Instant Classic?”
    Email Craig Peters at [email protected].