Postal worker retires after 34 years

When the campus post office opened its doors Monday morning, something was amiss. The post office lacked a certain spark-the smiling face of clerk John Tucker, who retired Friday afternoon after 34 years with the branch.
    A reception was held in Tucker’s honor Friday. Friends and faculty members attended the event.
    Though he will miss visiting with everyone daily, Tucker said he is looking forward to spending more time with his wife, Sandra, and “doing the things we haven’t been able to do while I was working.”
    He also plans to spend a good amount of time fishing.
    “Fishing is his main activity,” Sandra Tucker said, holding the decorated fishing hat Tucker had just received as a retirement gift.
    “I also have some ‘honey-dos’ waiting for him,” she added.
    The Tuckers live in Starkville, but plan to spend time traveling to Jackson and to Texas to visit their five children and eight grandchildren. The Tuckers are also expecting another grandchild soon, John Tucker said.
    Over the last 34 years, Tucker has committed himself to his work. He has watched thousands of students walk through the post office doors and made many friends along the way.
    “He made an effort, put in time, and is the best at what he does,” said acting postmaster Doug Kyle.
    Postmaster Larry Kittrell said, “You rarely see him without a smile. He knows his customers.”
    Clerk Andrew Miller shared a personal story of how Tucker’s work at the post office touched his life.
    “My family had a box (at the campus post office) for 32 years. I used to pick up mail here from him when I was a student. And now I’ve gotten to work with him.”
    “It’s not just the students Tucker serves, but the university community as a whole,” Kyle said. “He has been a favorite for a long time.”
    Tucker was also implemental in helping the MSU branch earn acceptance into the 100 Percent Club.
    Ten mystery shoppers gave the post office a 100 percent ranking on their overall experience there. Since the employees never knew when to expect a mystery shopper, they had to treat every customer the same, Kyle said.
    “With (Tucker) at the window, we knew we always had the 100,” Kyle said.
    The crowd shed tears as it watched Tucker serve his last customer before officially retiring. Before Tucker left, he assured the crowd that he would not forget the friends he had made so long as they “don’t forget me.”