Celebrities often above law

The American justice system has become one where money and fame can get a person out of anything. In our society, the haves get to go free and the have-nots get to go to jail.
    One of the most famous cases where a celebrity was acquitted was the case of O.J. Simpson. He was accused of murdering Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman in 1995. Simpson got off through his use of celebrity status and a pricy defense.
    Simpson’s conniving defense team maneuvered their way through the jungle that is entitled the American legal system. Guilty or not, Simpson achieved his goal by receiving a not guilty verdict.
    Sean Combs, better known as P. Diddy, is another instance in which celebrity status and money absolved a person of criminal charges.
    Combs was accused of shooting a man to death after an incident at a New York night club. Combs, like Simpson, used his wealth and celebrity status to assemble a defense that the common person can only dream about obtaining. He avoided incarceration as well.
    Ray Lewis was another celebrity who stayed out of jail with help of money and celebrity status. Lewis, a football player for the Baltimore Ravens, was accused of killing a man in Atlanta after the Super Bowl.
    He, like Combs, had an altercation at a nightclub and a man ended up dead. Lewis, like Simpson and Combs, was absolved of all charges. Again, money and status can get celebrities out of just about anything.
    Marv Albert is another case where celebrity status and money has helped someone to get off easily. Albert was accused of lesser crimes than Combs, Simpson and Lewis.
    Albert pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault and battery. He avoided suffering for his crime since he got his job back. A normal person would have been fired and the door shut on a future career.
    Jamal Lewis and Kobe Bryant are in the headlines of papers every day. Lewis and Bryant are both extremely recognizable athletes. However, the same elements as the other cases exist here. Both of these people have money and are celebrities. They have also been accused of breaking the law.
    Lewis ran for over 2,000 yards in the NFL this past year. He was the focal point of the Raven’s offense. He is charged with intent to traffic and distribute cocaine.
    Kobe Bryant is one of the biggest stars in the NBA. He has endorsements with Sprite, Nike and many others. He made the jump from the teenage game of high school to the grown man game of the NBA. He is charged with sexual assault and battery.
    The message that celebrities in the news for criminal offenses resonates to America is a very ominous one. It says that these people are above the law.
    As long as they have a lot of money and some celebrity status, they can get away with anything. Lewis and Bryant will probably be acquitted. They have the money, power and influence to beat their charges. They are all above the law in a manner of speaking.
    They go to trials for the sake of going through the motions. They are ultimately a joke. All of these people will end up with an insignificant punishment, if any. The American justice system needs to be reformed to where everyone can get a fair trial.
    Right now, everyone does not have access to a fair trial.
    Nyerere Tryman is a graduate student in public policy and administration. He can be reached at [email protected].