Minister offers students food for thought

The Presbyterian campus minister, Dr. Tom Cheatham, searched for a way to help students with their busy lives and found a way by creating the ‘prayer lunch.’
    One of the first things Cheatham said he noticed upon arrival was how everyone always had something they needed to do. He said he knew that this constant activity had the potential to cause stress for students. Since Cheatham has worked in the Christian ministry for nearly 20 years, his immediate solution to the problem involved prayer.
    “I believe that God uses prayer to help center people in the midst of their problems,” Cheatham said.
    He understood that students couldn’t spare long periods of time to take part in Bible studies or sermons, so he came up with the idea of the prayer lunch. Instead of taking up large amounts of time, Cheatham said he thought that offering short prayers and times of silence would help.
    “I know how busy students at Mississippi State are,” Cheatham said. “It seemed like most of the people I talked to couldn’t find prayer time because their lives were so busy. With the prayer lunch, I think that those people will now have a few minutes during the day to spend time with God.”
    Cheatham also said he wanted to create a place where anyone, regardless of denomination, could find acceptance.
    “All denominations will be accepted,” Cheatham said. “It doesn’t matter if you’re Baptist or Methodist or whatever. I just want to create a place where anyone can take a few minutes to be helped in their spiritual journey and gain sustenance.”
    Cheatham said the main goal of the prayer lunch is to give the students something worthwhile.
    “We are just trying to provide something that will be meaningful,” Cheatham said.
    The prayer lunch will take place in the Chapel of Memories every Thursday from 12:15 p.m. to 12:45 p.m. Participants are welcome to come and go as they please. They may ask for advice and prayer guidance, or they can simply follow their own spiritual pattern.