Bowl week closes out fake season

Mississippi State ended its SEC Western Division Championship season with a loss to Illinois in the Capitol One Bowl, or the Citrus Bowl as it was formerly known.
    The Fighting Illini’ jumped out to a 31-7 halftime lead, but thanks to the two touchdown catches of wide receiver Justin Jenkins and some outstanding defensive stands by Mario Haggan, the Bulldogs closed the gap to three points with seven minutes left in the fourth quarter, down 28-31. However, the Illini’ proved able to outlast the maroon warriors, scoring a late touchdown and stopping the Bulldogs on fourth and short. Mississippi State finishes the year 9-5 and unranked.
    In other New Year’s Day games, Florida blasted Ohio State 41-20 in the Outback Bowl on a 400-yard passing day for Rex Grossman. Georgia fell to Texas in the Cotton Bowl, 30-27, when Georgia missed a 30-yard field goal to tie the game with 10 seconds left. And in the nightcap, eighth ranked Miami pounded N.C. State 34-17 in the Toyota Gator Bowl.
    This season’s BCS Bowls produced some memorable games and also a National Champion.
    In the Rose Bowl, third ranked Penn State beat the Oklahoma Sooners 23-16 on a 35-yard touchdown pass as time expired.
    In the Sugar Bowl, Georgia Tech outlasted Tennessee 17-9 in a defensive game where neither team gained over 150 yards of offense.
    Florida State won their second straight bowl game over Virginia Tech this year by beating the Hokies 34-24 in the Orange Bowl.
    In the Fiesta Bowl, the Washington Huskies and the Colorado Buffalo met to determine the National Championship. Washington, undefeated, dominated Colorado from the opening kickoff, winning the game 49-25.