MSU softball helps U.S. Elite win gold

Three members of the Bulldog softball program were key members of the U.S. Elite team that won gold this summer in the Canada Cup and swept Australia in the Pacific Challenge in San Francisco. The head coach of the Bulldogs, Jay Miller, piloted the Elite Team, coaching the best softball talents in the country, including Mississippi State’s own Iyhia McMichael and former Bulldog star Kellie Wilkerson.
    Coach Jay Miller again heads the Elite Team as he continues to establish himself as one of the marquee coaches in all of college softball. Miller ranks in the top 15 in wins among active coaches, and has, after one season at MSU, led the Bulldogs to SEC and NCAA tournament berths.
    “We had a great summer,” Miller surmised. “We won the Gold at Canada, and then had a great series against Australia in San Francisco, with lots of close games. I think this was a great opportunity for most of these girls to really turn some heads for the Olympic team, including Kellie Wilkerson.”
    Wilkerson will report Tuesday to the Olympic Trials in hopes of making the USA Olympic team, and competing in the 2004 games in Athens, Greece.
    “Kellie was one of our leading hitters,” Miller said of his former student coach. “She’s definitely put herself in a good position going into Tuesday’s trials.”
    Wilkerson hit 11-31 (.355) in the Canada Cup, scoring 11 runs and driving in five more.
    “It was an unbelievable experience,” Wilkerson said. “It was a great chance to play with a former teammate, Iyhia, again, and it was great to get to represent the South.”
    McMichael, a senior on the current Bulldog squad, was the only current Bulldog player on the roster for the Elite Team. McMichael is the reigning SEC Softball Athlete of the Year, and ended last season by being named to the First Team All-American list. McMichael played well in the summer tournaments with four RBI’s and four runs scored, but batted only .111.
    “This was Iyhia’s first experience at this level,” Miller said of his senior star. “She struggled a little lit at the plate, but made the most of the hits she did get by getting them in key situations, including a game winning RBI hit in a 15-inning game against Australia. Iyhia also played great defense (this summer). She threw out several runners from the outfield late in games that gave us chances to win.”
    McMichael says she enjoyed the experience, and thinks it will help her here at Mississippi State.
    It was an incredible feeling, being able to feed off all these other great players, and just using their energy to get better.”
    The experience gained this summer by these key members in the Bulldog program should be invaluable for the whole squad when they take the field again in the spring.
    “I think this summer gives us a lot of confidence (going into next season),” Coach Miller said. “I can really see Iyhia stepping up and giving this team the confidence and leadership it needs.”
    Wilkerson, who will not return as a student coach this year, also sees this experience as great for the Bulldogs.
    “Iyhia has grown a lot over the summer. She’ll step up this year and do what needs to be done. Especially with Coach here, this team will get it done.”
    2Reflector Newspaper2SORT’™2STR
    o”