Student visits Hawaii for national competition

Instead of sitting in stormy Starkville, one Mississippi State student is enjoying paradise this week on the island of Oahu, Hawaii.
    The student, sophomore Kim Solomon, is competing in the Miss Hawaiian Tropic International United States 2003 competition in Hawaii, which will culminate in a final competition Sept. 26.
    The pageant is being held at the Turtle Bay Resort on the north shore of the island of Oahu.
    While her classmates are studying, attending class and working, Solomon is spending the week shooting commercials, talking to model scouts and competing to be one of four contestants from the United States to move on to the international competition.
    Judges chose Solomon from a local Miss Hawaiian Tropic contest at Rick’s Caf Amricain to compete at the regional contest in Gulfport.
    In Gulfport, she beat 60 girls, winning the photo shoot award. The win secured her a week-long trip to Hawaii and a spot in the Miss Hawaiian Tropic International United States 2003 Pageant.
    “I’m so excited that my stomach is in knots. I probably won’t be able to sleep because I’m so excited,” Solomon said. “I’m not expecting anything, I just really want to enjoy myself and have fun.”
    Solomon said that at the beginning of the summer someone suggested she participate in the Hawaiian Tropic model search competition at Rick’s.
    After she decided to take a chance on the bikini contest, she said she really began to watch what she ate and work out religiously.
    “She has always worked out and watched her diet, but after she committed to doing the contest, she became more aggressive about working out and eating right,” roommate Kelly Barar said.
    With a week packed full of photo shoots, video interviews, a Body Glove promotional, a Budweiser-sponsored Survivor Challenge and rehearsals, Solomon will stay busy.
    However, she said it’s all welcome publicity for her.
    “I’ve always wanted to be in the performing arts, so this was one more way to meet people and get my face out there,” Solomon said.
    With experience in theater and cheerleading, Solomon said she feels comfortable on-stage and in front of crowds.
    “Ever since I was young I have loved being on stage. I can remember putting on talent shows for my parents and guests in my living room with my brother when I was little,” Solomon said.
    This will be the first time, however, Solomon’s father has seen her compete or participate in something related to performance.
    “This trip is going to be really special because my dad is going with me,” Solomon said. “We’re really close because he’s my best friend. He’s also really laid back and so supportive of me and my competing in Miss Hawaiian Tropic.
    “But I am a little nervous because this will be the first time that he’ll see me onstage,” Solomon added.
    Overall, Solomon says that this experience has been great for her. Everyone has been so supportive and encouraging. From her family, friends, co-workers and peers, everyone seems to be pulling for her.
    “I’m really glad that she’s getting this opportunity because it could not have happened for a more deserving person. But the longer that she’s in Hawaii the longer we’ll miss her as a great person and a great employee,” said Spencer Morrill, Solomon’s manager at The Veranda restaurant.
    Solomon will be competing on Friday for the chance to become a Miss Hawaiian Tropic Model. The competition will be televised.
    “I’m keeping a positive attitude even though I’m nervous and kinda overwhelmed,” Solomon said. “It’s going to be a great opportunity for me and I’m going to enjoy every bit of it.”