Hunt Club’s tropical sister opens in Columbus

The owner of the biggest bar in Starkville has expanded his interests to Columbus, opening a new tropical-themed bar there.
    Big Kahuna’s Beach Club, opened last Thursday night in Columbus. Owner Bill Norris, who also owns Remington’s Hunt Club in Starkville, said the bar has done well in the short time it has been open.
    The new bar is located at 201-D Alabama St., the site of the old Classix night club.
    Being billed an “oasis in the center of the Golden Triangle,” Big Kahuna’s tropical island atmosphere gives the bar its distinguishing characteristics. The decor is tropical with palm trees and nautical elements throughout.
    Even the staff uniforms reflect the theme. Bartenders wear Hawaiian shirts and waitresses wear Hawaiian bikini tops while security wears red and white lifeguard shirts rather than the standard black.
    The bar has two levels, with a large dance floor and the bar occupy the first floor and pool tables and video games occupying the second. The bar also has a balcony overlooking the floor.
    The bar shares similar nightly activities with Remington’s. Big Kahuna’s will have nights designated for karaoke, dancing and ladies’ night.
    What distinguishes Big Kahuna’s from its big brother in Starkville are the Sunday drink specials and activities. In fact, Norris is advertising to Starkville residents that the new bar is an alternative to Starkville’s Sunday night life.
    “Starkville, you now have something fun to do on Sundays,” Norris said on his Web site.
    Alcohol cannot be sold on Sundays in Starkville. Because of the city’s law, most bars in Starkville close on Sunday-including Remington’s.
    Bar manager Corey Poole said the bar did well for its first weekend.
    “We were filled to capacity every night,” he said. “It was a real positive response from the customers. We’re all exhausted.”
    Mississippi State student Claire Hackett said the new bar is a blast.
    “We went this weekend and had so much fun,” she said. “It’s nice to have a place like this in Columbus.”
    “We’d like to provide an atmosphere of activity, fun and safety,” Poole said. “Our goal is good drinks, great prices and good fun.”
    The bar will host its first large musical act on Friday with David Allen Coe.
    2Reflector Newspaper2SORT
    ™™2STR
    o”