Vote today for future senate

Yes, I voted! Look around campus today and you will see others wearing stickers proclaiming that they also voted.
    Although it is not the famed Super Tuesday, today’s Student Association election is important. The future of Mississippi State is at hand.
    With close to 100 people campaigning to fill 50 open senate seats, your vote today will shape the senate of tomorrow.
    The senate is the legislative arm of the SA. It is responsible for proposing, hearing and passing bills and resolutions that dictate the future of student life at MSU. Senators represent every entity at MSU, from residence halls to the various schools and colleges on campus. The senate will meet twice each month to carry out the legislative process of the SA.
    If you think that this has little to do with you, think again. Last year’s senate passed groundbreaking legislation that significantly impacted every student.
    The new fall break is one example of such legislation. Were it not for a vision that had its inception within the chambers of the senate, students still would be complaining about having to attend class on the days leading up to Thanksgiving.
    Secondly, last year’s senate brought a tradition back to MSU that had previously been lost in the shuffle-the Hall of Fame. This program recognizes MSU’s top 10 students based on leadership and academic success. Thanks to your SA senators, MSU proudly recognizes its outstanding students once again.
    The senate is still working to gain approval of the student activity fee that the Institutions of Higher Learning recently rejected. An SA sponsored referendum showed that most students were willing to pay an additional fee to reap countless benefits.
    Despite the IHL decision, your SA will not give up the fight. The SA is still working to achieve its goal of finding a way to renovate The Colvard Student Union, alleviate parking and traffic concerns and bring more concerts to campus.
    Last year’s senate worked hard to address concerns of equal representation. They passed a bill to reallocate senate seats within the various colleges based on enrollment, rather than the set number used in the past. Consequently, the senate will reflect more accurately the student body in the years to come.
    These are but a few things accomplished by last year’s senate. The group chosen today soon will face new concerns regarding MSU students.
    It is your obligation to make an informed decision regarding your selection of this year’s senate.
    Do not ignore this privilege to select your student leaders.
    Do not concede your voice to someone else.
    Vote today in the Union and earn the right to exclaim, “Yes, I voted!”
    Thomas Gregory, a junior, is a management of construction and land development major. He can be reached at [email protected].