Dollar Days exceeds expectations

The Student Association raised over $2,000 this week during Dollar Days, an annual fundraiser for United Way.
    “Two years ago, the community service committee of the Student Association raised approximately $600.
    Last year, they did Dollar Days for five days and raised a little over $1,000. This year we did it for three days with only four tables and raised $2,350,” said Matt Thurmond, director of the SA community service committee.
    The SA raised such a large amount this year because students donated so much money, Thurmond said.
    “A lot of student’s gave a lot more than just one dollar-they gave $5, $10 and $20,” Thurmond said. “This year volunteers were really outgoing; they didn’t let anybody walk by without asking for dollars,” Thurmond said.
    The money raised by Dollar Days will serve to benefit the United Way of North Central Mississippi, Thurmond said. This organization raises money for the 20 major charities in the community such as Habitat for Humanity, the Boys and Girls Club, the Humane Society, Palmer’s Children Home and the Salvation Army.
    Over 120 volunteers sat at tables, filling milk jugs and buckets with coins and bills.
    Individuals from the community service committee of the SA, Phi Delta Theta and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternities volunteered for the event.
    “All we had to go on is what they’d done in past years. We were really hoping to get what they got or possibly a little bit more. But $2000 is a huge jump from past years,” said Tricia Hopper, assistant director of the community service committee. “People had such a good attitude about giving. We planned and organized it, but the student body came out and supported and gave to it.”
    “We raise money for charities because we want the community to know we care about its organizations and its people and that we’re not just a university that’s going to turn a blind eye to community problems,” said Thurmond.
    “In order to show the community that we care, each year the university raises $90,000 for the United Way. The student body is responsible for raising 3,000 of those dollars,” he added.
    While students donate through charity events such as Dollar Days, the faculty and staff donate through their paychecks, Thurmond said.
    The next events the community service community has planned are “Pizza-by-the-slice” and a date auction, said Thurmond. Both events will happen within the next six weeks.
    “People gave to this fund-raiser with such a willing spirit,” Hopper said. “We hope that students will support our next endeavors just as much as they supported dollar days.”