Husband’s motives uncertain

Tuesday, Oct. 21, Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida ordered the reinsertion of Terri Schiavo’s feeding tube. She has been deprived of it for almost a week.
    Michael Schiavo, Terry’s husband had the tube removed to allow her to die, since she has spent the past 13 years in a “persistent vegetative state.” After objections from the public as well as the Schindler’s, Terri’s parents, the Florida Legislature quickly passed a bill that gave Bush the power to intervene, requiring that Terri be rehydrated in preparation for reinserting her feeding tube.
    The battle continues between Michael Schiavo and the Schindlers. Michael wishes to let his wife die, claiming that she expressed her desire to not be kept alive “on anything artificial” prior to her heart troubles.
    The feeding tube is the only thing currently keeping Terri alive, but contrary to her husband’s thoughts, food does not qualify as “life support.”
    Her parents see hope for their daughter’s improvement and want to keep her alive to ensure she is given every opportunity to rehabilitate.
    Terri, though not aware of the people and things around her most of the time, is not in need of any artificial life support, such as a respirator. Her heart is beating, and she is breathing independent of any machinery.
    Her husband’s motives are questionable. Shortly after his wife entered the hospital, he received a $700,000 settlement for Terri and $300,000 for himself. Only $50,000 of his settlement remains, and the rest cannot be touched until Terri dies.
    Michael has a girlfriend, but refuses to divorce Terri. If he were to divorce her to pursue his current relationship, Terri’s more-than-willing parents would take over her care. However, he refuses, making some think he is staying legally married to her for the money he would receive at her death. Schiavo’s attorneys insist “he will not receive one financial benefit from her death.”
    If Michael’s intentions are true, he should give guardianship to his in-laws. They care for their daughter and know no limit in to helping her recover.
    It is understandable that he is emotionally drained from seeing his wife in a brain-damaged state for the past 13 years.
    It is also understandable that he wants to end it all, and have some closure to the seemingly never-ending tragedy. After 13 long years of caring for his wife, Michael deserves to move on, but not at the expense of his wife’s life.
    How could a loving husband wish to see his wife starve to death?
    It’s unfortunate that parents must battle their son-in-law to save their daughter’s life. Depriving her of a necessity to life, food, is murder.
    Bush’s orders should be upheld. Terri should continue to receive her feeding tube, giving her parents the chance they need to gain guardianship of their daughter and make steps to help her heal.
    Shaina Hanson is a freshman political science major. She can be reached at [email protected].