Bulldog soccer hosts UF, USC

The Mississippi State women’s soccer team will host the Florida Gators on Friday and the South Carolina Gamecocks on Sunday in the final two games of the season at the Mississippi State Soccer Field.
    State enters the weekend with an overall record of 7-7-2 (1-4-1 Southeastern Conference) and has not won a game since beating Georgia 2-0 on Oct. 5.
    “I think it has just been one mistake or miscue on the field that has been causing us problems,” said junior Karen Sandrik. “If you have one moment of miscommunication the other teams capitalize on it. It just shows you how good the SEC teams are.”
    Florida will undoubtedly be the toughest game of the year for the Bulldogs. The Gators come into Starkville with a record of 12-2-1 (4-1-1 SEC), and are ranked sixth in the nation in the NSCAA Adidas National Rankings poll.
    State is 0-4 all-time against the Gators and the Bulldogs were beaten 6-0 last year in Gainesville.
    If MSU wants to snap its losing streak against Florida, they will have to find a way to defend an explosive offense that is loaded with weapons.
    Sophomore Ashley Kellgren leads the Gators’ attack. Kellgren ranks in the top seven in the SEC in total goals and goals per game. The Gators as a team average over two and a half goals per game.
    To take down the Gators, State will rely heavily on a defense that has been dominant at times, but very inconsistent the past few weeks.
    “We’re just gonna have to come out and play like we did against Missouri and Georgia,” said freshman Sara Moore. “I think if we come out hungry and want it more, then that will help us beat them.”
    The Bulldogs second opponent on Sunday will be the 9-6-2 (2-3-1 SEC) South Carolina Gamecocks.
    South Carolina’s (9-6-2, 2-3-1 SEC) defense provides strength for the Gamecocks. USC ranks in the top five in goals allowed and goals against average, giving up less than a goal a game.
    While defense is strong, South Carolina’s has a weak offense. The Gamecock offense is in the bottom third of the conference in points, goals, goals per game and assists.
    If the Bulldogs can contain the Carolina offense, State will put themselves in position for a much needed win.
    Although both these games are of great magnitude, head coach Neil McGuire said he won’t do anything differently than he normally would.
    “I think at this stage it is all about what we do,” said McGuire. “I think that we know how we play and we know what strengths we have. As long as we play to our strengths we will have an opportunity to be successful.”
    The Bulldogs currently sit in fifth place in the SEC Western Division.