Soccer hosts Auburn, Alabama

The Mississippi State women’s soccer team returns home from a four-match road trip to battle the No. 17 Auburn Tigers (8-2-3) and the Alabama Crimson Tide (7-6-1) this weekend at the Mississippi State Soccer Field.
    MSU (7-6-1, 1-3 Southeastern Conference) lost at Arkansas and LSU last weekend in what head coach Neil McGuire called the two worst games of the season.
    “I think last weekend we had a lot of problems with communication,” said freshman keeper Luisa Marzotto. “We seemed to play more as individuals than as one total unit.”
    If the Bulldogs are to solve their recent problems and take down the defending SEC champions, they will have to find a way to get past Auburn’s all-SEC keeper Megan Rivera. Rivera ranks second in both goals allowed (nine) and goals against average (.65) in the SEC.
    The Tigers also bring with them a very potent offense led by reigning SEC Soccer Athlete of the Year, Sarah Steinmann.
    Steinmann ranks fifth in the SEC with eight goals (.62 goals per game).
    “Auburn is a special team,” said McGuire. “Coach (Karen) Hoppa has her players playing very well and this will be a great test for us. I believe in my players, and I know they can win this game.”
    Alabama comes into the weekend winless in their last four games. The Tide has also failed to win a conference match as they stand at 0-3-1 in the SEC.
    The Crimson Tide brings with them an average offense combined with a below average defense. The Bulldogs can capitalize on an Alabama defense that ranks in the bottom half of every major defensive category.
    Junior forward Ngum Suh said that she is positive that the Bulldogs will do what it takes to put themselves in position for two wins.
    “I can’t promise that we will win both games, but I can guarantee you that when we come off that field there won’t be any could of’s, should of’s or would of’s in our head,” said Suh.
    Although the Bulldogs committed multiple mistakes and miscues last weekend, Luisa Marzotto said the team still has confidence.
    “Our confidence level is still very high,” said Marzotto. “I know that I am very confident, and I think that when the keeper is confident it circulates throughout the entire team. I know that we will be ready to play on Friday and that we’ll give it all we’ve got.”