Homecoming parade celebrates MSU

Starkville residents and Mississippi State University students, alumni and faculty can enjoy a parade today in honor of Homecoming and MSU’s 125th anniversary.
    The Homecoming theme this year is “125 years … Let the Good Times Roll!” The parade, which is scheduled to begin at 5:30 p.m., at the corner of North Nash Street and University Drive, will follow this overall theme.
    The parade will end at the MSU Amphitheater where the pep rally will begin.
    Libba Andrews, associate director of alumni activities, said the Homecoming parade, now in its fourth year, will be bigger and feature several new offerings.
    “We did some things this year to try to liven up the parade a bit more for the kids. We’ve got some unicyclists that are going to be riding. We also have a clown this year,” Andrews said. “It should be a lot of fun for everyone.”
    The parade will also feature floats and ground displays from many campus organizations and several community organizations as well.
    The crowd will also get to see the Homecoming Court, Bully and the Grand Marshals of the parade, Mr. MSU Josh Blades and Miss MSU Kate McIntosh.
    “I think traditions like the parade are a very important part of the university. The parade is one of those traditions that was lost for many years, but was resurrected four years ago and has become a tremendous event where students, alumni and the community can all come together to celebrate our pride in Mississippi State University,” Blades said.
    Laurie Carlisle, alumni delegates director of the Homecoming Parade, said the parade is not only a celebration of the university but also symbolizes the connection between MSU and the surrounding community.
    “We really want the community of Starkville to come out and support Mississippi State and its traditions,” Carlisle said.
    “This year is MSU’s 125th anniversary, and what better way to celebrate than a great big parade?” Carlisle added.
    Andrews said she was impressed by the hard work participants had put in toward making the parade a success.
    “So many of these student organizations have spent time building floats and coming up with ideas … They’ve worked amazingly hard, and most of these floats are pretty awesome.”
    Andrews said she does not expect the weather to be a problem. However, she said that should a severe weather situation arise, the alumni activities office will be the official voice as to whether or not the parade will continue as planned.