Thomas adjusts, rocks WNBA

When a player has so many great achievements in his or her career, it is a shame that they sometimes go unnoticed.
    As a member of the Mississippi State women’s basketball team, LaToya Thomas had gotten used to that idea. Often unrecognized for her accomplishments and overshadowed by the men’s program, Thomas wasn’t used to being the talk of media.
    Thomas heard her name called and recognized as one of the best in women’s college basketball. Those who called her name were the Cleveland Rockers who selected Thomas with the first overall pick in the WNBA Draft.
    Going into the professional game so soon after being drafted can be a tough situation, but Thomas was ready.
    “I felt a little pressure going in,” said Thomas. “But, as I adjusted to the game, I started to relax a lot more.”
    Thomas achieved more during her Bulldog career than any other basketball player in school history. She garnered All-American honors in each of her four seasons in Starkville, and was twice named Power Forward of the Year. She ranks as the school’s all-time leading scorer even surpassing Bulldog great and former NBA vet Jeff Malone. But with all her accomplishments Thomas had to realize that she was going to play on a new level.
    “Once I got to the league I was surrounded by players who could score a lot of points,” said Thomas. “It was an adjustment from being in college and scoring 25 points a game to scoring five or six in the pros.”
    However, according to Rockers’ head coach Dan Hughes, Thomas was invaluable to the team’s turnaround this season.
    “LaToya made a big impact on our team,” said Hughes. “We went from winning 10 games last season to winning 17 this season and making the playoffs and LaToya was a big reason that was possible.”
    Cleveland lost in the first round of this year’s WNBA playoffs. Eventual champion Detroit eliminated them in the first round. But Hughes knows that Thomas will only get better which means success for their team.
    “I am really excited about her second season,” said Hughes. “She will be excellent for years to come and be a vital part of our team for years to come.”
    Thomas is not only optimistic about her second season but for her team’s continued success as well.
    “I think we are a very good team,” said Thomas. “But I think we will be even better next year.”
    Thomas reached another lofty goal by being drafter number one overall. She now stands alone in Bulldog athletics as the only Bulldog to be selected first in any professional draft of any kind.