Article was insensitive

I am writing in response to Charlie Swanson’s Sept. 19 article, “Law give undeserved benefits” in which he states “Illegal immigrants cause three problems in addition to breaking our nations laws.”
    I am a native of California and was strongly offended by the negative portrayal of Mexican immigrants or “criminals” as they were called in the article.
    America is built with the blood, sweat and tears of other cultures and ethnicities. Indians, blacks and Mexicans are just a few. America is a land that welcomes all in a “land of opportunity.” However, when these immigrants, or “criminals,” come to America they find themselves in search of “opportunity.”
    “Too many legal residents are going without work while numerous illegal immigrants have jobs,” Swanson said. When these immigrants arrive in America many of them know little English and have very little formal education. They need to eat and they need shelter. These immigrants take the jobs many legal residents do not want. Many work long hours for little pay.
    The implication that American citizens are somehow being robbed by illegal immigrants seems somewhat insensitive.
    LeJeune Chandler is a sophomore social work major.