Dawgs tie Rebels, edge past Eagles

Elke D’Hollander maintains control. The senior narrowily missed a goal Sunday against Southern Mississippi, but registered an assist when senior teammate Amber Meesey followed the shot.

Friday, Oct. 31
    In a game between two bitter rivals with hopes of claiming the Magnolia Cup trophy, the Mississippi State Bulldogs and the Mississippi Rebels battled to a 0-0 tie in double overtime on Friday evening.
    State posted its ninth shutout of the year, tying the 1996 club for most shutouts in a season. The Bulldogs also claimed the school record for most ties in a season.
    Freshman keeper Luisa Marzotto and the Bulldog defense withstood 31 Mississippi shots. Marzotto’s blanking moved her into sole possession of MSU’s school record for shutouts in a single season.
    “I am very proud of my team defensively,” said head coach Neil McGuire. “We did have several good scoring opportunities, but we didn’t take our chances. It was a very hard fought game and I think both teams took something away from it.”
    MSU had an excellent scoring chance early in the game on defender Morgan McDonald’s run into the middle of the penalty box. McDonald received a pass from forward Betty Ann Casey but was unable to get a shot off before being stuffed by a Mississippi defender.
    Mississippi nearly broke the scoreless tie with just over 10 minutes remaining in the first half, but freshman Brittney Potts’ rebound goal was negated due to an off-sides infraction.
    The second half was very similar to the first. Despite quality scoring opportunities, neither team was able to find the net. The Bulldogs headed into overtime for the fourth time this season.
    Mississippi forward Elise Karlowicz nearly ended the game in the first overtime, hitting the crossbar in both the 92nd and 100th minute, but Marzotto recovered and held the Rebels.
    “I was very pleased with tonight’s performance,” said McGuire. “Ole Miss is a very talented team that has many scoring threats throughout their lineup.”
    “We used several different defensive schemes to thwart their attack, and, out of the opportunities that we gave them, there were not many true clear-cut chances for them,” he explained.
    Because the game was declared a tie, the Magnolia Cup will remain in Oxford due to the 1-0 win recorded by Mississippi in last year’s meeting.
    Sunday, Nov. 2
    With the first winning season in two years riding on the outcome, MSU completed a two-goal comeback as they defeated the Southern Mississippi Eagles 2-1.
    Southern Miss got on the board early when forward Lauren Prewitt scored on a header sent into the box by Carley Barkley.
    The Bulldogs were able to answer and tie the game just before the halftime whistle.
    With 25 seconds remaining before halftime, MSU defender Karen Sandrik sent a free kick into the box. Sophomore Betty Ann Casey sent a one-touch shot into the back of the net. The goal marked Casey’s sixth of the season, tying her with Heidi Ondra for the team lead.
    “Southern Miss played better than we did in the first half, but I felt we regrouped well in the second half to regain the lead, McGuire said.
    “Elke played her best game of this season and led the team to victory with a very special performance. It was fitting that her and fellow senior Amber Meesey connected for the winning goal.”
    Meesey scored the eventual game winner early in the second half and said it was a case of being in the right place at the right time.
    “Elke D’Hollander made a great shot from about 30 yards out,” Meesey said. “It hit the crossbar and bounced down. Kristin Peterson and I followed the ball and I tapped it in.”
    “I am pleased by the result of today’s game,” McGuire said. “Winning against our in-state rival is a nice way for our seniors to end their career, as well as securing a winning record for the season.”
    “We played poorly in the first half, but everyone knew they wanted to finish with a win,” Meesey said. “It was nice to finish my last game with a goal since it had been awhile since I had scored.”
    The senior class leaves Starkville as the most successful class in program history with an overall record of 36-40-5.