Academic forgiveness goes to committee

The Faculty Senate voted Friday to review the Student Association’s recommendation for an academic forgiveness policy and decide on the matter in January. The recommendation was sent to the Senate’s Academic Affairs Committee for analysis.
    Based upon the committee’s findings, the Senate will then decide whether to jointly recommend the policy with the SA or to reject the proposal.
    Walter Diehl, president of the Senate, said there have been previous recommendations for a forgiveness policy over the past few years. Last year’s Senate found problems with the proposed plan and suggested some changes to the structure of the policy.
    Last year’s SA recommendation included a provision that disallowed the original grade from appearing on the student’s record, Diehl said. The committee asked for this to be changed, as well as limiting the number of hours that could be retaken to six.
    Richard Heard, director of academic affairs for the SA, said last year the Senate requested that six hours be the maximum permitted, differing from the original plan which allowed two classes.
    “We put down seven hours instead,” Heard said. “We wanted to be able to include a four-hour class in the policy.”
    Diehl said the main issue concerning the plan involved keeping the original grade on the student’s transcript, but that issue was taken care of this year.
    Diehl also said this year’s policy recommendation offered more strength in the steps students must take in order to take advantage of the forgiveness policy.
    “Last year’s Faculty Senate rejected the committee’s recommendation,” Diehl said. “And this policy is very similar to last year’s.”
    Linda Morse, head of the academic committee, said she supposed the committee would favor the plan this year. Last year the committee approved the policy as well, although it suggested a few changes.
    Morse, who also headed the committee last year, said the new proposal included the changes suggested last year.
    SA President Josh Blades said this year’s recommendation was drafted based on the changes and suggestions offered by the Senate last year, and the SA would hear from the Senate again in January concerning the policy.
    Diehl said he had no idea which way this would go this time.
    “About a third of the members have turned over this time,” Diehl said in reference to the Senate’s newer members. “I thought there was a real good chance the Senate wouldn’t accept this as an issue.”
    Heard said it is the right time for this issue, adding that he believed the policy could help the university with retention and enrollment.
    Diehl said the proposal was fairly consistent with other university forgiveness policies across the nation, but the Senate’s main concern is to maintain the academic integrity of the university.
    Heard said the Senate has split about 50/50 in its views on the suggested policy.
    Diehl said only five to 10 members voted against sending the recommendation to committee.
    “I think it’s got a good chance,” Heard said. “I’ve really just got my fingers crossed.”