New book recounts university’s history

A new book takes readers on a trip through time with images from the 125 year history of Mississippi State University.
    It captures a variety of memories including how the Drill Field has changed over time.
    The MSU Office of External Affairs published the book titled “125 Years at Mississippi State University: A Pictorial History of the People’s University.”
    Copies of the book are now on sale for $49.95 and can be ordered by sending a check to the MSU Foundation, P.O. Box 6149, Mississippi State, MS, 39762.
    The book was released in honor of the university’s recent milestone. It is comprised of five sections, each highlighting different aspects of the campus’s history, with over 140 pages of pictures old and new, in color and black and white.
    “It has some totally unique photographs,” said Blane Merritt, special projects coordinator for the Office of External Affairs. “This book is really something that cuts through all generations.”
    The uniqueness of these photographs range from a picture of the famous Old Main building lit up in flames to a snow-covered Drill Field to a shot of the 13 members of the class of 1883. Fashion trends, technological advancements and sports heroes are all captured in the pages of the collector’s item.
    “I am very pleased with the content and quality of the publication. It is my sincere hope that this book will quickly become a ‘must have’ item for all alumni and friends of Mississippi State,” said Dennis Prescott, vice president of external affairs.
    Marybeth Grimes, an MSU librarian, was head of a subcommittee in charge of gathering photographs for the book.