University to honor Iraqi Freedom veterans at football game

Mississippi State University will honor American veterans, especially university students, faculty and staff that are and have been serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom, during halftime at the game against Alabama Saturday.
    The Air Force ROTC Arnold Air Society and Silver Wings will also honor America’s Veterans today through Saturday with a 24-hour run. Beginning at 10 a.m. this morning through 10 a.m. tomorrow, participants will run around the campus in 30-minute intervals. The run will culminate in a breakfast for area veterans from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. in front of Middleton Hall.
    At the game, the Famous Maroon Band will be performing their patriotic show along with the honorary ceremony which will honor the 17 students, employees and their families that have returned from the operation, the people still in the Middle East and all American veterans.
    “We wanted to specifically honor those in our family, but also honor all American veterans,” Mike White, dean of students, said.
    Since there are still many people in the military that are in the Middle East, MSU wanted to honor those affiliated with the university that are still there.
    “We invited the immediate family members of those students who have not returned, and they will be recognized in the stands,” White said.
    Vaughn Threatt, a senior civil engineering student, served in Operation Enduring Freedom with the Air Force as an engineering assistant and will participate in the ceremony as well.
    “I am excited about the ceremony,” Threatt said
    Threatt served in a classified location in the Middle East from February to June 2002. At that time the main focus was on battling terrorism, but the military needed him, so he had to withdraw from school and serve the country.
    Kimberly Bearden, a sophomore majoring in pre-med biological sciences served with the Marine Corps in Operation Iraqi Freedom at Camp Pendleton in California, but also went to Kuwait during her time away from school.
    She was in training for six weeks, and after the mission to Kuwait she wanted to come back to school. She talked to her officers and they decided to let her return.
    “I was working with some nice officers, and they let me come back,” Bearden said. “I got back the day before school started, so I was cutting it close.”
    Getting home is an exciting event for these members of the military.
    “On our way back we had to rendezvous in Ireland, so I was excited when I saw the states from our plane,” Threatt said. “When we landed in the United States everyone on the plane applauded.”
    “I think it will be an outstanding show. It really adds to the feeling of patriotism,” White said.