Drill Field celebration to feature free food, flying eggs

Most people don’t look forward to being egged, but Adam Telle takes heart in the fact that at least he won’t be wearing his own clothes. He will be dressed as a University of Mississippi football player.
    Well, maybe. Telle, who is an executive assistant for the Student Association, does not yet have a Rebel uniform, but he promises that he will make a good target, regardless.
    “It’ll be some semblance of something Ole Miss,” Telle said.
    Egging Telle will be one of several events happening at the first “Thanksgiving on the Drill Field,” which will be held from 2 p.m.-6:30 p.m. before the Egg Bowl on Thursday. The SA is sponsoring the event.
    Coca-Cola is bringing its traveling Football Town USA exhibit to Starkville. “Coke was very receptive about coming to the Drill Field,” said Kathryn Adamson, chairwoman of the SA Student Affairs Committee. “They’re real excited about it.”
    The exhibit travels to the country’s biggest college football games and features games with a football theme.
    Musician Bill Cooke will be playing and the Famous Maroon Band and cheerleaders will also make an appearance before kickoff. Free food will be available to students.
    The idea was the brainchild of two Roadrunners, Seth Robbins and Bryan Mason. While sitting in the Roadrunner office in Lee Hall, Robbins and Mason thought about ways to bring the Mississippi State community together before football games.
    The office’s view of the Drill Field inspired them.
    “The Drill Field is the best part of this campus,” Robbins said. “It is Mississippi State.”
    Robbins and Mason hope to make tailgating on the Drill Field a tradition before every football game. “Kind of like (the University of Mississippi tailgate spot) The Grove, but better. The Egg Bowl is a great time to start a tradition,” Robbins said.
    Telle did not say if he would volunteer to be a target for egging for every home game.