Bulldogs’ second half surge falls short

Although Athens is about 90 minutes east of Six Flags, Saturday’s Dawgfight between No. 21 Mississippi State (13-5, 3-4 Southeastern Conference) and No. 15 Georgia (13-4, 5-2) proved to be a roller coaster.
    UGA’s first 12-4 run of the first half capitalized on costly MSU turnovers (seven in eight minutes) and an 11-4 rebounding advantage. MSU hit the boards, trimmed the turnover rate, and trailed 28-25 with 5:47 remaining when Chris Daniels and Steve Thomas combined for 10 of their 21 first half points to spark another 12-4 run. Georgia got easy baskets from Daniels and Thomas down low and shot 47.1 percent, despite missing seven of eight 3-pointers. The 40 points were the most allowed by Mississippi State in a first half this season.
    “We went into the locker room knowing that we had not played our best, MSU forward Branden Vincent said. “After Coach talked to us, we told each other we needed to pick it up.”
    MSU inched its way up the 11-point hill by increasing defensive intensity and decreasing turnovers by half. State allowed just four of 20 total points in the paint and only two of 17 total points off turnovers in the second session.
    “We came out in the second half and tried to be patient: get the ball inside, and then knock down open shots,” MSU guard Timmy Bowers said.
    Center Mario Austin benefited from State’s newfound ability to control the ball and the tempo. Austin grabbed 10 boards in the game and scored 10 of his 14 after the break, including a one-handed power slam.
    “If I had the answer for [the reduction in turnovers in the second-half], I would bottle it up and sell it,” Stansbury said. “When we got it to [Austin], he was productive.”
    Vincent snagged eight of his 10 rebounds in the second and delivered two two-handed thunder dunks of his own.
    “When your team needs you, you want to give your hardest,” Vincent said. “I went up weak earlier and got my shot blocked, so I said it was time to go hard. When I get up there, I just want to bring the rim down with me.”
    MSU held a 56-54 lead when an off-balance Winsome Frazier fade-away swish made the final three minutes appear downhill for MSU. However, Georgia guard Ezra Williams added two loops. After going 1-8 until then, Williams sank two quick 3’s as UGA led 60-59.
    Daniels found a loose ball, and then connected with Williams for a third loop. With the score 65-61, Bowers (13 pts.) kissed a lay-up of the glass that got pinned by Jarvis Hayes with much contact. Neither a goaltend, nor a foul was called.
    “It works that way sometimes–I thought it was a goaltend. I thought I got fouled, too,” Bowers said.
    State was unable to recover as Georgia won 67-63, despite MSU’s 45-33 rebounding edge.
    “We had a chance on the road against a great basketball team, and we didn’t finish it out,” Stansbury said. “We have to learn from that last minute.
    “Georgia won this game; we didn’t give it away. They made great plays. Ezra Williams saved them by himself.”
    “To win against a great team like Georgia, you have to take advantage of every situation and every opportunity, but I am proud of the way our kids came back and fought.”
    State returns to Humphrey Coliseum Wednesday to host the Vanderbilt Commodores (10-8, 3-4).
    “I think our fans are looking forward to getting us back on our home court and we are looking forward to getting the job done,” Bowers said.
    “With us playing at home, we’ll be alright,” MSU senior Derrick Zimmerman added.