Pub, lounge bring big city taste to college town

Ever wanted to go to New York City? Well, Manhattan is on its way to Main Street Starkville. Peter O’Patricks and Manhattan Lounge have brought the New York City vibe to the small college town. In less than a week the state of the art restaurant and bar will be up and running with a grand opening Feb. 10.
    The restaurant features gourmet food, Southern cooking and a unique retro atmosphere that might be foreign compared to other restaurants in town. When dining in this friendly atmosphere one would never believe that this magnificent architectural building was once a shoe store.
    Divided as a two-story design, the downstairs area is Peter O’Patricks, the restaurant.
    Shrimp and grits, chops and steaks are just a couple of the specialties offered at the restaurant.
    “I can’t wait to go and enjoy the gourmet food,” MSU sophomore education major Carolyn Hartlein said.
    Manhattan Lounge is upstairs and resembles a New York City loft apartment in a distinct way. Rafters, steel beams and brick walls create the feeling of the city that never sleeps. It is aimed toward the older Starkville crowd with a minimum age of 21 to enter.
    To make the place even more chic, Jim Bulian, the owner, added aqua leather couches, lava lamps, New York City photographs and modern tables throughout the lounge.
    “The lounge has a great open space for people to come and hang,” bartender Austin Shafer said.
    “I am excited that something new and different is coming to downtown. I plan to go the day they open to check it out,” MSU junior communication major Bonnie Horton said.
    Bulian said he hopes his restaurant and bar will bring more life to the downtown area.
    “This is my first Peter O’Patricks and Manhattan Lounge, and if it’s successful I would love to open a franchise,” Bulian said.
    Hours of operation are 3 p.m. to 1 a.m. For more information , call 615-7383.