Seniors want smashing win

The Mississippi State University tennis team looks to conclude its season with a victory at home this weekend against nationally ranked arch-rival Mississippi. This match will undoubtedly have significant impact because of how much is riding on a victory. By beating The Rebels the Bulldogs will earn a birth in the NCAA Team Championship for the 13th consecutive season.
    The game also marks the final time that three MSU seniors will compete at the A. J. Pitts Tennis Centre. Rene-Charles Combette, Michael Hailey, and Jerome Le Belicard are all completing their Bulldog careers this weekend. These three seniors have all played critical roles in the success of this year’s team.
    “I am so proud of the three seniors. They have all worked so hard to become much better,” head coach Sylvain Guichard stated. “Each player has had to overcome some obstacle along the way, but all three have consistently improved to become great players.”
    Combette recently received SEC player of the week honors, Hailey is a walk-on who is now starting in doubles, and Le Belicard has notched eight doubles victories this season.
    As each senior prepares for his final competitive event at MSU, all remember one highlight of this season. It was the weekend of March 28-30 when the team defeated the University of Tennessee and the University of Georgia on their home courts. The victory marked the first time since 1967 that MSU defeated Georgia in Athens.
    As the season closes, each player will look back on his career as a
    Bulldog differently. They all agree that the decision to play tennis at MSU was the best choice they ever made. Spending time and playing with their teammates is a cherished memory that will remain with them always.
    “The thing I will take away most is the fact of how beneficial playing tennis at MSU was for me,” Le Belicard said. “It made me a much better player.”
    Once the season is completed, each senior has a different plan for life after tennis.
    Michael Hailey enthusiastically explained, “I plan on
    becoming a collegiate tennis coach when I finish playing.”
    Rene-Charles Combette’s intentions are uncertain, but he is eager to find a good job that offers him an exciting opportunity. Le Belicard plans to return to France where he wants to continue to play tennis or secure some type of internship to pursue his career as a professional.
    Although each player is not entirely certain about his plans after college, each will have left his mark at MSU.