Scholarship deadline set

The Mississippi State University Office of Distinguished Scholarships has offered a variety of scholarships for the 2003 academic year. The deadline for submitting the applications has been set for May 15.
    Although the office is located in the MSU Honors House, the director of the organization, Jack White, said the applications for the scholarships are available university wide. “These applications are open to all students—-from freshmen to seniors,” he said.
    Some of the scholarships offered include the James Madison Scholarship (history), the Marshall Scholarship (study abroad in England) and the Morris K. Udall Foundation Scholarship (environmental policy), as well as the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship (science, mathematics and engineers) and the Truman Scholarship (government and public service)—both of which Mississippi State University students have recently been awarded.
    Sandra Middleton, White’s assistant and co-worker in the scholarship office, said one MSU student had just received the Truman Scholarship. She added that all three MSU applicants for the Goldwater were given the prestigious award.
    White said the office of distinguished scholarships has helped students gain experience in their selected field of study, adding that it has helped them build a strong record with good credentials.
    White said applying and working toward scholarships helps students to prepare for an undergraduate career and added that the program has proven to give focus earlier on in the student’s academic career.
    Middleton described the experiences she has had with the program, saying it is an honor to work with the quality students of MSU. She said she has enjoyed working with the program since it began two years ago.
    White summarized the goal of the organization, saying, “We try to make students fully aware of all scholarship opportunities that exist beyond MSU.”
    White said the first step is to come by the office in the Honors House and fill out an information form. This allows the office to look at each individual and assess their possibility.
    According to the handout with the list of available scholarships, once the student completes the form, he should make an appointment to pursue scholarship applications and institutional nominations.
    For more information about the entire list of available scholarships or to obtain an application, students can contact Jack White at 325-2522 or look at the MSU Office of Distinguished Scholarships Web site by going to: http://www.msstate.edu/dept/des/.