All you have to do is look

Eighteen months ago, I remember constantly thinking that taking the job as sports editor of The Reflector was a mistake. I had no editorial experience and no REAL writing experience, and all of a sudden, had the responsibility of taking charge of the section that a lot of people go to first–boy, was I in over my head.
    But that was 18 months ago. Now, I can’t imagine doing anything else while I’m at this university.
    So it is with a heavy heart that I write this final column for you today. I will no longer be able to serve you as sports editor of The Reflector, nor will I stay on as a sports writer/columnist. So for the last time, I will give you my thoughts on my “career” at The Reflector–YOUR newspaper.
    Contrary to what some of you wanted to believe earlier this year, I live and die with Mississippi State athletics just like the rest of you. I realize what I said about our football team in “Rock Bottom: Part II” may not have been the best thing to have published in your student newspaper, but I still feel it had to be said.
    Would I change the general idea of the column? No. Would I change the wording? Of course. I realize I hurt a lot of feelings, and that was not my intention. Somewhere deep down I was hoping that would turn things around. I never meant to defame each individual player, because I know how hard Division I football players work. I have friends who have played major D-1 football, and I know the commitment and dedication it takes.
    Trust me–I along with everyone on this campus and everyone who wears the Maroon and White appreciate what you do–and we always will. You should know that when the season rolls around in August, I will be up in the stands with the masses, ringing my cowbell and doing my best to leave it all in the stands, just like I know you’ll leave it all out on the field.
    Some may say I’m too much of a fan, and not enough of a journalist. Then again, maybe they’re right. I am a fan, who just happens to be a journalist, but I never mixed the two. You can’t do it. You won’t last if you do.
    When the MSU men’s basketball team lost their SEC opener to Florida back in January, I had to write a story that was to run in a Florida newspaper. I’m not going to lie, I don’t like the University of Florida–never have, but it’s for the same reason that people don’t like Duke basketball, the New York Yankees or the Detroit Red Wings–they always win.
    Do you think for a second that if I was too much of a fan and not enough of a journalist that I would have written that story? But there’s money involved, right? Sure there is, but it’s not about the money. It never has been and never will be. I can separate fan and journalist. But the one time I failed to separate them, “Rock Bottom: Part II” came out. It was my worst moment as a journalist.
    Through all that, many memorable things have happened to me and this university since I’ve been here. The men’s basketball winning the 2003 SEC West title and the 2002 SEC Tournament, the women’s team winning 22 regular season games (the most in MSU history) and watching LaToya Thomas’ career as a Lady Bulldog and, my favorite, winning the 2001 Egg Bowl. The list goes on and on, and believe me, if I could go on forever, I would.
    While all of those things were great, I don’t expect those to be the most memorable. Athletics at Mississippi State have done nothing but grow exponentially over the years. I’ve been told many stories by many people who were here before me about the “lean years” at MSU, and I can’t help but think about how good we have it now, where every year we’re talking about winning the SEC and sometimes even that elusive national title.
    As good as we have it now, though, I can’t help but wonder how much better it will get. We’re seeing evidence of that now.
    Just take a look around.
    Your baseball team is in the top 5, both men’s and women’s track teams have not only been floating around the national rankings all year, but they also have a chance to bring home national championships–something this school doesn’t see often. You have a football team that is about to begin another season with a newly constructed coaching staff and a group of remarkably talented athletes. You have a pair of basketball teams that I think have made people realize that we do know how to play basketball in Starkville, Miss.
    Although I would love to be the one who brings you the news of our teams’ successes, I am just as much looking forward to being the one who is there in person, screaming at the top of my lungs with maroon and white pompoms attached to my head.
    So no longer will it be as easy as picking up the paper to find me and my thoughts on sports, but if you do want to talk sports with me, all you have to do is look.
    I’ll be there in the Dawg Pound at Davis Wade, on the front row with Rick’s Rowdies at The Hump, in the stands at The Dude with my cowbell in hand and wherever else our Bulldogs go–and all you have to do is look.
    Thank you for being loyal readers and putting up with my sometimes outlandish opinions. The fact that you even took the time out of your day to read means the world to me. I took the responsibility of being sports editor of The Reflector as a privilege and an honor, and I thoroughly enjoyed writing for you for the past 18 months. Thank you, Mississippi State.