Residence Hall Week starts Monday

Residence Hall Week starts Monday
    Heath Fowler, The Reflector
    The Mississippi State University Residence Hall Association will hold its annual RHA Week beginning Monday and continuing through Thursday.
    According to the RHA Vice President of activities Timothy Jackson, the purpose of RHA Week is to build spirit among the halls and show appreciation for those who volunteer their time for the RHA and their particular hall associations.
    RHA President Brandone Abrams said Thursday’s Super Residence Hall Competition will be a departure from the usual social activities planned in past RHA Weeks.
    “This particular event will help develop a sense of comradery among residents,” Abrams said. “This is something we’ve not done for a long time.”
    Abrams said he is most looking forward to Monday’s Staff Appreciation Day. “We do a lot of things for the custodial staff and the housing staff of our halls,” Abrams said.
    “They don’t know how much we appreciate what they do for us.”
    Other events include Karaoke Night Tuesday in Herbert Hall starting at 7 p.m.; Spring Extravaganza Wednesday at the MSU Amphitheater at noon featuring music, games and volleyball; and Thursday’s Super Residence Hall Competition behind Hamlin Hall at 3 p.m. Residents wishing to compete in the competition must apply in room 111 of Herbert Hall by 5 p.m. Tuesday.
    RHA National communications coordinator Troy Dampeer said he feels MSU is fortunate to be able to sponsor an RHA week. “We’re doing this because we love all of our housing staff, residents, resident assistants, resident directors, our custodial staff and our individual residence hall associations,” Dampeer said. “It’s also a chance for us to build up a community in the residence halls so people can feel like they’re at home. Because a residence hall is, in reality, a home away from home.”