Nations, cultures unite at annual International Fiesta

Over 100 flags from countries around the world will be carried across the drill field on Saturday, April 5, beginning at 10 a.m. The flags represent the countries from which students have come to attend Mississippi State University.
    The march of flags will open the 13th Annual International Fiesta, a time when international students, faculty and community members can celebrate their countries and cultures and share their knowledge with others. The event is sponsored by the World Neighbors Association and is open to everyone.
    “This is a wonderful opportunity for students in the United States to meet new people from all over the world and build international friendships,” World Neighbors Association President Jean Walrath said.
    The day will be filled with sights from various nations. Dr. Helen Zuercher is the director of International Services Offices, and she will host the welcome ceremonies, complete with the traditional march of flags with musical background provided by the MSU percussion ensemble.
    After welcome ceremonies, around 10:30 a.m., the entertainment will begin. An exciting array of cultural entertainment will be provided by dancing Chinese children, a Korean church choir, the Starkville Academy jazz band, the bluegrass band Choral Relief, the Starkville Martial Arts Academy, Thai dancers and many others.
    From 11:15 a.m. until 11:45, there will be the first section of the cultural fashion show. The second section will take place from 1 p.m. until 1:45 p.m. MSU professor Dr. Phyllis Miller will lead in the runway activities. Miller studies the history of design and clothing. Foreign students are encouraged to model their traditional dress. Students also have researched fashions from other countries and will present the results of their research during the fashion show.
    Many of the countries represented by MSU students, faculty and community members will have tables set up on the drill field, and those attending the fiesta will have the opportunity to purchase goods and food from other countries. Many tables will feature arts and crafts, native foods and artifacts to show. The Indian students will even perform their native hand painting.
    The largest number of international students at MSU is from the People’s Republic of China, and many students come from India, Korea, African countries, Latin American countries, South American countries and some European countries.
    “This is certainly an event that all ages can enjoy. There will be many activities for children such as a pi–ata, face painting, a moonwalk and many games,” Walrath said.
    In the past, the International Fiesta has generated a large turnout with over 500 people coming to the event. Walrath hopes that this year will be just as successful. So, for a day of broadening cultural horizons and interesting sights and sounds, join MSU’s international community on the drill field from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m.