MSU men and women finish second

MSU men and women finish second
    Special to The Reflector
    Both Mississippi State’s men’s and women’s team finished second in the 2003 Bulldog Invitational Saturday at W.O. Spencer Stadium/Carl Maddox Track.
    State’s men scored 161 points overall, finishing behind Indiana State’s 202 points. MSU’s women closed the meet with 147 points, coming in behind Indiana State, who had 152 1/2 points.
    The men had a great afternoon, adding five regional qualifiers to their ranks and improving on another qualifying mark. Five Bulldogs and one relay team won their event in the team’s second home meet of the year.
    MSU went 1-2-3 in the 100-meter dash, with all-Americans Marquis Davis (10.16), Pierre Browne (10.25) and Glenn McFadden (10.57) dominating the event. Davis and Browne both qualified for NCAA Regionals with their times.
    The trio, along with junior Jamel Ashley, combined for a regional qualifying time in the 4x100m relay, winning the race in 40.41.
    Sophomore LaChristopher Lewis took the 400m dash, clocking a qualifying mark
    of 47.28. Freshman Trey Hardee cleared 16-0 3/4 to win the pole vault and qualify for regionals.
    Senior Kelvin Harris improved his top mark of the season in the 110m hurdles, taking the race in 14.06. Senior Chris Boldt also won the 1500m for the second straight week. He finished the race in 3:52.03.
    MSU’s women had one standout performance on the afternoon. Sophomore Tiffany McWilliams shattered another school record in the 800-meter run, winning the two-lap event in 2:05.78.
    Sophomore Meggan Hodge also set a new school record in the 3000m steeplechase. She crossed the finish line in 10:59.55 to take first in the event.
    Other Lady Bulldogs with event wins include Jennifer McPherson in the 1500m (4:41.61), Mina Thorstenson in the 5000m (18:00.70), Le’Kisha Barnaby Pope in the 100m hurdles (14.38), Lacey Johnson in the long jump (18-5 1/4) and Crystal Averitt in the discus (146-3).
    State track heads to Austin for the Texas Relays, beginning Wednesday, April 2.